The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Members

Guest John

I was recently appointed to a non profit civic organization board. Their website lists me as a member-at-large. All other members of the board with exception of officers are listed as members-at-large. What is the reasoning behind naming a member "at-large" as opposed to a board member?

I was recently appointed to a non profit civic organization board. Their website lists me as a member-at-large. All other members of the board with exception of officers are listed as members-at-large. What is the reasoning behind naming a member "at-large" as opposed to a board member?

You'll have to figure out what it means for your particular organization. Generally, an "at large" position is one which doesn't represent a particular constituency. For example, you might have four board members representing the north, south, east, and west sections of a community and then have a couple of "at large" members selected by the entire community.

In your case it may be that "at large" refers to those board members who are not also officers (e.g. president, secretary, etc.) but that's an improper use of the term. In the end, you're all board members.

Archived