The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording Minutes

Guest Susan

If the Secretary was absent from the Executive Board meeting and had another Board member take the minutes, how is that Board member to sign the minutes? As the recorder? As the acting secretary? or just sign their name with no title???

If the Secretary was absent from the Executive Board meeting and had another Board member take the minutes, how is that Board member to sign the minutes? As the recorder? As the acting secretary? or just sign their name with no title???

Strictly speaking, the secretary has no such power of delegation in his/her absence. The proper procedure is for the assembly to choose a secretary pro tem at the meeting. However, this doesn't mean the minutes taken by your designated board member are defective in any way, nor does it affect the answers to your main question (how the secretary pro tem should sign the minutes).

Strictly speaking, the secretary has no such power of delegation in his/her absence. The proper procedure is for the assembly to choose a secretary pro tem at the meeting. However, this doesn't mean the minutes taken by your designated board member are defective in any way, nor does it affect the answers to your main question (how the secretary pro tem should sign the minutes).

Then why post it? :P I'd love to witness an election for Secretary Pro Tem. Most of the time the assembly begs and pleads for a volunteer.

Then why post it? :P I'd love to witness an election for Secretary Pro Tem. Most of the time the assembly begs and pleads for a volunteer.

You're certainly right that people don't generally seem to jump up and down asking to be picked :) . I was trying to point out (gently) that the secretary has neither the authority nor the obligation to designate a stand-in if he/she is unable to attend a meeting.

Archived