The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting on your own resignation

David A Foulkes

If a Board officer submits his resignation, and it is taken to a vote, should (or must) he abstain from voting?

Is this one of those personal interest not common to other members moments?

When RONR cites its rule for "Voting on Questions Affecting Oneself (p. 394), RONR does not give exhausting examples, only a few.

Since a member is free to vote for himself when an election is pending, then surely a member is free to vote for himself when an election-related issue, like a resignation from office) is pending. It is business of the organization.

I think elections, and un-doing elections (as a resignation might be taken as) is not a "personal ... interest not common to other members." - It is common - "Who shall be treasurer? Who will serve as sergeant-at-arms?" are questions every member asks, annually.

If because of this he is precluded from voting, is he also not counted towards a quorum?

Just the opposite.

No one ever loses the right to vote just because a certain motion is pending.

So, the conflicted member does count toward the quorum.

If a Board officer submits his resignation, and it is taken to a vote, should (or must) he abstain from voting?

Is this one of those personal interest not common to other members moments?

If because of this he is precluded from voting, is he also not counted towards a quorum?

I'm inclined to think he should abstain since the primary reason to refuse a resignation is to pursue disciplinary action. Thus, it does seem to me the member has "a personal... interest not in common with other members." The member would not be precluded from voting, and the member would still count toward the quorum. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 394, lines 15-25)

Archived