The Official RONR Q & A Forums

confidentiality of committee meetings

Guest pelican

We have a committee member who promptly tells another non-committee person the details of the committee meeting, often with detrimental effects. Can anyone point me to a convention or somewhere in Robrts Rules that suggests that frank and robust discussion which might take place in a committee meeting is not for public disclosure?

Top of P. 93: "... but board or committee meetings are customaarily held in executive session." If this committee's meetings are held in executive session, this member is out of line; his blabbing must not be tolerated; he should be penalized harshly, if the accusation is shown to be true. On the other hand, if the committee does not meet in executive session, then, he, like all of you, is free to blab to everyone.

We have a committee member who promptly tells another non-committee person the details of the committee meeting, often with detrimental effects. Can anyone point me to a convention or somewhere in Robrts Rules that suggests that frank and robust discussion which might take place in a committee meeting is not for public disclosure?

It would be wise for the committee to formally decide by vote whether its meetings shall be held in executive session, so that there is no confusion on the matter. If the member continues to violate the confidentiality of the meetings, the matter should be referred to the appointing authority, who could remove the member from the committee.

Can a committee which is not itself a deliberative assembly decide that, or must it be the superior body?

Absent instructions to the contrary, a committee can decide for itself whether or not all or a portion of one of its meeting's will be held in executive session, and so I'm inclined to think that it can adopt a rule on the subject, although I don't know of anything that specifically says so. smile.gif

Absent instructions to the contrary, a committee can decide for itself whether or not all or a portion of one of its meeting's will be held in executive session, and so I'm inclined to think that it can adopt a rule on the subject, although I don't know of anything that specifically says so. smile.gif

Agreed. For them to customarily hold all of their meetings in executive session (p.92), one would think "We always do it that way" started somehow. Why not by adopting a rule?

Archived