The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure

ggarland

Our by-laws state that our meetings will be conducted by the use of Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure. Is that the same as Robert's Rules of Order? Or, are they two totally different publications?

Unless you, or someone in your organization, has a copy of "Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure", it's quite possible there is no such book. Sounds like it might be time to amend your bylaws.

Our by-laws state that our meetings will be conducted by the use of Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure.

Is that the same as Robert's Rules of Order? Or, are they two totally different publications?

There is no such book as "Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure."

Whether you guys will interpret your weird bylaw as implying "Robert's Rules of Order" remains to be seen.

(Q. What will you do when your bylaws refer to a document which does not exist?)

The amendment of by-laws is what has me asking questions. In our last meeting I received, from a member, written proposed changes to the by-laws that will be voted on in our next meeting. However, the by-laws are quite out-dated and need serious review and revision.

Thank you for your help.

Be sure to carefully follow the Amendments requirements in your current bylaws. And Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, universally known as "The Right Book" has much that might be useful.

STA,

Our current bylaws have nothing in them about amending. The bylaws have existed for probably 30 years, maybe longer, and apparently no one has ever referenced "Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure" to find out that there is no such publication. I think they have just always assumed that it is the same as Robert's Rules of Order and have treated it as such. Truthfully, I think the intention was to only use it for the purpose of receiving moves and seconds.

Archived