The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board obligation to Previous Decision

Guest Barbara Due

If a motion is passed to perform a project but the project is incomplete when a new board is elected, is the new board obligated to follow the prior motion's decision or can the President change the action without a new vote? For example, if the motion was to sell academic planners to the students for $3 but the new PTO President wants to give them away.

If a motion is passed to perform a project but the project is incomplete when a new board is elected, is the new board obligated to follow the prior motion's decision or can the President change the action without a new vote? For example, if the motion was to sell academic planners to the students for $3 but the new PTO President wants to give them away.

The board may amend or rescind the previous action by vote, but the President certainly may not do so on his own.

Why does it always devolve to me to bring up the procedural value of introducing the president to the crocodiles?

Hey Gary, where are these crocodiles of which you speak?

Here's a recent communication (by e-mail, of course) from a member of our board. Said member was asking for a vote by e-mail, and I had pointed out that our bylaws do not permit e-mail voting -- this was the response: "I respect the need to follow the Bylaws and Roberts Rules, however they can not cover every scenerio that arises. Given the urgency of this situation, and that I honestly feel this is in the best interest of [our organization], I don't see the harm in an email vote."

Why don't we have an emoticon that's pulling out its hair in frustration? :P (perhaps Mr. Foulkes will provide one, as he sometimes does).

No doubt Ms. Due's president also honestly feels (aren't honest feelings wonderful!!) that giving out academic planners for free is in the best interests of the organization. Make a MOTION (to rescind or amend something previously adopted) IN A MEETING, debate, VOTE to pass the motion IN A MEETING, and go to it.

Hey Gary, where are these crocodiles of which you speak?

Here's a recent communication (by e-mail, of course) from a member of our board. Said member was asking for a vote by e-mail, and I had pointed out that our bylaws do not permit e-mail voting -- this was the response: "I respect the need to follow the Bylaws and Roberts Rules, however they can not cover every scenerio that arises. Given the urgency of this situation, and that I honestly feel this is in the best interest of [our organization], I don't see the harm in an email vote."

Why don't we have an emoticon that's pulling out its hair in frustration? :P (perhaps Mr. Foulkes will provide one, as he sometimes does).

No doubt Ms. Due's president also honestly feels (aren't honest feelings wonderful!!) that giving out academic planners for free is in the best interests of the organization. Make a MOTION (to rescind or amend something previously adopted) IN A MEETING, debate, VOTE to pass the motion IN A MEETING, and go to it.

Maybe the used-dictionary salesman from who I got my last stack of cut-rate RONR - IB's would like to branch out into a fresh area of parliamentary services. I doubt there'd be much competition, he'd probably have the only crocodile farm in Brooklyn.

Archived