The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resolution Voting

Guest Ken

At a non profit 501©(10) meeting last evening, there was a resolution made to increase the associations dues and it was properly second. This association requires that all resolutions be set over for 30 days or until it next regularly scheduled meeting, which constitutes 30 days. At that meeting there will be discussion on the resolution followed by a vote.

However, what has become and issue is whether or not the resolution must first pass a vote before it is set over for the 30 days and subject to debate and a vote.

The question is. Does a resolution need a vote before the following meeting, debate, and vote?

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this issue.

At a non profit 501©(10) meeting last evening, there was a resolution made to increase the associations dues and it was properly second. This association requires that all resolutions be set over for 30 days or until it next regularly scheduled meeting, which constitutes 30 days. At that meeting there will be discussion on the resolution followed by a vote.

However, what has become and issue is whether or not the resolution must first pass a vote before it is set over for the 30 days and subject to debate and a vote.

The question is. Does a resolution need a vote before the following meeting, debate, and vote?

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this issue.

It sounds like you have special rules for how resolutions must come before your association for debate. For this, you'll need to look at your association's bylaws or any special rules of order. Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR) does not describe a process as you have stated above. I'm reluctant to answer your question directly, since the only rules that I know the details of are in RONR. The best place to find your answer is in your bylaws or special rules of order.

If you read through those documents and discover that they are silent regarding this matter, come back and tell us. Then you'll find plenty of people who are willing to help explain the process that RONR lays out.

As far as RONR is concerned, the sequence is motion (and a resolution is just a particular form of motion), debate, and vote. In other words, you don't vote twice.

As Mr. Schafer noted, your rules may vary and will supersede the rules in RONR.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Our by-laws are silent on the resolution issue. However, it has been custom to my knowledge to set aside such resolutions for 30 days. This allows time for all members to be notified about the proposed resolution/motion to allow all parties the opportunity to attend the specific meeting for debate and voting.

It is just that since this motion was for the increase in association dues, a certian faction within the organization was stating that the resolution/motion being set aside for the required thirty day period was trying to kill the resolution/motion before its required 30 setting.

If I understand you correctly, then the Board of Directors would be correct in disallowing a vote on the resolution at it making and holding the appropriate debate and vote at the subsequent meeting at the beginning of September 2010.

Thank you in advance for your iput on this issue. Also, Roberts Rules are the association adoped rules of order.

Ken

Our by-laws are silent on the resolution issue. However, it has been custom to my knowledge to set aside such resolutions for 30 days. This allows time for all members to be notified about the proposed resolution/motion to allow all parties the opportunity to attend the specific meeting for debate and voting.

It is just that since this motion was for the increase in association dues, a certian faction within the organization was stating that the resolution/motion being set aside for the required thirty day period was trying to kill the resolution/motion before its required 30 setting.

If I understand you correctly, then the Board of Directors would be correct in disallowing a vote on the resolution at it making and holding the appropriate debate and vote at the subsequent meeting at the beginning of September 2010.

Thank you in advance for your iput on this issue. Also, Roberts Rules are the association adoped rules of order.

Ken

"Custom" gives way to rules (whether it be your rules or RONR). Since your bylaws are silent on the issue, you are abing by a "custom" that has no basis in RONR or your bylaws. There is no basis, that you cite, for justifying holding it over until the next meeting.

Ken

Is the amount of the annual dues embodied in the association's bylaws?

I would take another look at your Bylaws. If the amount of the dues is in the Bylaws (which is common), then the rules governing amendments to the Bylaws would be controlling. Such rules often require a certain number of days of notice.

Mere custom, however, is not sufficient to force a motion to be set aside.

Archived