The Official RONR Q & A Forums

excutive members

Guest jerry rice

regular meeting for a hunting club and there were only two excutive members present but there were 55 other members there aand there were some by laws read to be changed and some club rules changed was this a lagit meeting

No executive members must be present for a meeting of the general membership to be valid. Provided a quorum was present, the business conducted at that meeting was valid.

how many executive members must be present to an official meeting

If there exists a body called "executive" and if the body is defined as having members, then, when this body meets, the default quorum would be a majority of the members who are empowered to vote.

Be aware that your term is nonstandard. You are using the term as a noun. RONR never uses the term "executive" as a noun, but as an adjective, a modifier of a noun.

Example:

• Executive board

• Executive committee

• Executive secretary

• Executive officers

Thus, you risk confusion when you use the term "executive" (alone) and attempt to correlate your term with the word found in RONR (10th ed. 2000).

No he isn't. It's clearly an adjective modifying the word "members."

Josh M.,

Then the question to ask is, "Executive members of WHAT BODY?"

I am taking the original poster to mean, "members of the executive," and not as "executive members of the general membership," since the term "executive members of the general membership" is nonsensical.

We know from other posters that some organization refer to their board as the raw noun, "executive".

Nobody in the recent history of this Q&A forum has ever referred to the general membership as having "executive members plus non-executive members".

"Look for horses first, not zebras, when you hear hoofbeats."

I am taking the original poster to mean, "members of the executive," and not as "executive members of the general membership," since the term "executive members of the general membership" is nonsensical.

I agree, but since the poster has since clarified that he is asking about a meeting of the general membership, it doesn't really matter what he means by "executive members."

regular meeting for a hunting club and there were only two excutive members present but there were 55 other members there aand there were some by laws read to be changed and some club rules changed was this a lagit meeting

As has been stated by other posters, you don't need even a single 'executive member' present at a general membership meeting to make that meeting functional and able to conduct business. That's according to Robert's Rules (RONR).

It's always possible, though, that your bylaws contain such requirements, and the bylaws would supersede RONR. Read your bylaws, if you haven't already done so. Wrong-headed as it would appear to regular posters on this forum, I have seen an organization that actually had such a requirement (so-and-so-many board members must be present, as part of the quorum description for a general membership meeting).

The fact that the poster thinks there is such a requirement makes me wonder if anything is lurking in the organization's bylaws.

Again, this would NOT be a requirement from RONR.

Archived