The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Votes After Meeting

Guest Confused_BOD_Member

Can BOD members who missed a meeting vote on a motion after it has been presented and voted on at the meeting? If so, how is this noted in the minutes. If not, can their position be noted in the minutes?

Generally the person must be present to vote. A vote cannot be cast after the result is announced.

The board may, but is not required to, permit the member to enter a statement into the minutes of how the member would have voted had he been present. Such a statement is merely a statement and has no effect on the adoption of the motion. It would technically be a question of privilege (p. 216 ff.).

It might be possible (and possibly preferable) to move to rescind the motion (see pp. 297-8 for what cannot be rescinded), if adopted or to renew the motion, if the motion was defeated.

The board may, but is not required to, permit the member to enter a statement into the minutes of how the member would have voted had he been present. Such a statement is merely a statement and has no effect on the adoption of the motion. It would technically be a question of privilege (p. 216 ff.).

A question of privilege? I don't think so.

Generally the person must be present to vote. A vote cannot be cast after the result is announced.

It might be possible (and possibly preferable) to move to rescind the motion (see pp. 297-8 for what cannot be rescinded), if adopted or to renew the motion, if the motion was defeated.

...permit the member to enter a statement into the minutes of how the member would have voted had he been present...

As most of you know by now, were I in the chair, I would rule this kind of request to be dilatory and out of order, in the general case. It serves no legitimate parliamentary purpose.

As most of you know by now, were I in the chair, I would rule this kind of request to be dilatory and out of order, in the general case. It serves no legitimate parliamentary purpose.

Yes, we know. It's a shame though, because it would waste more time slamming and overturning your never yielding position on appeal than just letting him do it in certain situations.

But you have every right to constistenly wrong on this issue :)

Yes, we know. It's a shame though, because it would waste more time slamming and overturning your never yielding position on appeal than just letting him do it in certain situations.

But you have every right to constistenly wrong on this issue :)

Well, he did say "in the general case" this time. Certainly an assembly granting such a request implies an unusual circumstance.

Well, he did say "in the general case" this time. Certainly an assembly granting such a request implies an unusual circumstance.

I don't agree. The assembly might to be asked to grant such a request very often, but I would not be too surprised that most would be granted.

I have seen these types of requests occasionally, and they are usually granted.

If a member wishes to discuss a motion that has already been disposed of, he should take one of the appropriate parliamentary actions that brings a motion again before the assembly. See RONR (10th ed.), pp. 72-76.

If a member wishes to discuss a motion that has already been disposed of, he should take one of the appropriate parliamentary actions that brings a motion again before the assembly. See RONR (10th ed.), pp. 72-76.

The member is not discussing a motion that has already been disposed of, thought that could be done as a Request as well (p. 287, l. 29).

Archived