The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion to dismiss Roberts Rules of order

Guest maggie cummings

Our local zoning board makes a motion to dismiss Roberts Rules of order before their public meetings...is that legal or ethical? What would be the reason to do such a thing?

A general motion to Suspend the Rules ("dismiss Robert's Rules of Order"?) is not in order. See RONR (10th ed.), §25, pp. 252ff. Note especially the subsection on form and examples on pp. 257, 258.

Yet another instance of how an archaic term (see also "reconsider", "executive session") can mislead even the most well-intentioned member. Simply dropping the "s" in "Rules" would be a start.

But then you'd make members think they have to suspend each rule individually. Sometimes, the only answer is for people to read the book. :)

But then you'd make members think they have to suspend each rule individually.

I see nothing wrong with knowing just which rule(s) needs to be suspended. Right now it's a sort of "ends justify the means approach" in that you know what you want to do so you suspend whatever rules need to be suspended to do. Whichever rules they are. No one cares.

I would assume that, in most cases, only one rule would need to be suspended.

I see nothing wrong with knowing just which rule(s) needs to be suspended. Right now it's a sort of "ends justify the means approach" in that you know what you want to do so you suspend whatever rules need to be suspended to do. Whichever rules they are. No one cares.

I would assume that, in most cases, only one rule would need to be suspended.

I suspect such a process would be needlessly time-consuming and many applications of Suspend the Rules would require multiple rules to be suspended.

Archived