The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Filling treasurer position after elections

rjkgt

Our organization had its elections in May. We did not fill the treasurer position. We now have a volunteer for the position:). My Question is: Can the vote be put to the Board which meets tomorrow to elect her to the position or does it have to go the the General Membership which won't be meeting for at least a month? I appreciate any help with this.

Can the vote be put to the Board which meets tomorrow to elect her to the position or does it have to go the the General Membership which won't be meeting for at least a month?

You have what's known as an "incomplete election". The general membership must continue to vote until the office is filled. Even if the board is authorized to fill mid-term vacancies (which it may or may not be, depending on the bylaws), that would not apply in this situation.

(Note that, again depending on your bylaws, the current treasurer might remain in office until a successor is chosen.)

You have what's known as an "incomplete election". The general membership must continue to vote until the office is filled. Even if the board is authorized to fill mid-term vacancies (which it may or may not be, depending on the bylaws), that would not apply in this situation.

(Note that, again depending on your bylaws, the current treasurer might remain in office until a successor is chosen.)

And, just to clarify, by this I believe (though Mr. Mountcastle will confirm) that he means that the former Treasurer, not your "current" volunteer Treasurer, may still be the Treasurer and should probably take over (take back, that is) the duties from said volunteer until another election can be held.

quote name='David A Foulkes' date='10 August 2010 - 06:10 AM' timestamp='1281438644' post='19015']

And, just to clarify, by this I believe (though Mr. Mountcastle will confirm) that he means that the former Treasurer, not your "current" volunteer Treasurer, may still be the Treasurer and should probably take over (take back, that is) the duties from said volunteer until another election can be held.

Sorry I am new to this. Unfortunately our past treasurer is not willing to continue until the General Mtg:( Being volunteers not much we can do about that. Could we vote the new treasurer in as interim treasurer pending the General meeting?

There are no 'interim' positions in RONR, so, unless your bylaws describe such positions, it's a meaningless term, and wouldn't give your volunteer any additional authority. Obviously, if certain treasurer-type functions must be carried out (e.g. paying bills) before a new treasurer can be properly elected, someone should carry out those functions. Just do your best until such time as a you have a properly elected treasurer again. If that's only a month or so away (which is what you said in an earlier post), hopefully it won't be too difficult.

Archived