The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions

Guest Jimenez

If a motion was made and seconded, but not voted on; then, a second motion was made, seconded, and voted on, how do we handle the first motion that was made. The second motion was not an amendment to the first motion, and, in fact, was completely different than the first motion.

If a motion was made and seconded, but not voted on; then, a second motion was made, seconded, and voted on, how do we handle the first motion that was made. The second motion was not an amendment to the first motion, and, in fact, was completely different than the first motion.

The second motion, if a main motion, was not in order. A point of order should have been at any point while it was pending (p. 224 d.). If there was no point of order raised at that point, the first motion should have been pending.

If the first motion was not disposed of at adjournment, it possibly could be renewed at the next meeting.

The second motion, if a main motion, was not in order. A point of order should have been at any point while it was pending (p. 224 d.). If there was no point of order raised at that point, the first motion should have been pending.

If the first motion was not disposed of at adjournment, it possibly could be renewed at the next meeting.

Picky sticky tricky thought.... if the Chair did not state the question as put forth in motion #1, is it then not pending yet? And although it would be certainly impolite to allow a second motion to be made, how high is the level of parliamentary impropriety in that?

Picky sticky tricky thought.... if the Chair did not state the question as put forth in motion #1, is it then not pending yet? And although it would be certainly impolite to allow a second motion to be made, how high is the level of parliamentary impropriety in that?

You're asking how high the level of parliamentary impropriety is for the chair to ignore a properly made motion?

Pretty high, I'd say.

I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the first motion was before the assembly. If not, a Point of Order should have been made at the time. I'm also assuming that they are both main motions.

You're asking how high the level of parliamentary impropriety is for the chair to ignore a properly made motion?

Pretty high, I'd say.

Indeed, and forgive for not phrasing at my best. Let's go this way... if no one raises a point of order at the time the second motion is made (and seconded, and so on), this would not constitute a continuing breach, and so the business of the second motion stands. Yes?

Archived