The Official RONR Q & A Forums

limiting time for discussion of opposing sides

Guest Joe fong

A motion is introduced to the assembly, there are two factions with a view point. Is there a way to limit the time each side has to present their views before a vote is taken on the motion?

Can I some how implement a time limit of for instance 15 minutes for each faction?

A motion is introduced to the assembly, there are two factions with a view point. Is there a way to limit the time each side has to present their views before a vote is taken on the motion?

Can I some how implement a time limit of for instance 15 minutes for each faction?

Make a motion that for the debate on the XYZ issue, debate be limited to a maximum of 15 minutes for each side. A 2/3 vote is required for adoption of the motion to limit debate.

In case it's not clear what is represented by "each side" be sure to include that in your motion.

-Bob

Make a motion that for the debate on the XYZ issue, debate be limited to a maximum of 15 minutes for each side. A 2/3 vote is required for adoption of the motion to limit debate.

In case it's not clear what is represented by "each side" be sure to include that in your motion.

-Bob

is there a reference in Robert's Rules of Order that it requires a 2/3 vote of the assembly? If so please tell me where?

Thanks.

is there a reference in Robert's Rules of Order that it requires a 2/3 vote of the assembly? If so please tell me where?

See "Limit/Extend Limits of Debate" in RONR.

It is the proper motion to fix the number of speakers on either side, or to fix the number of minutes per speaker, or limit the number of minutes spent on this item of business.

Archived