The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Canceling a meeting

Guest Heather M.

If my association's bylaws state the assocation meets on the 2nd Tuesday of each month and there is no stated bylaw provision for cancelation or notice of cancelation, can the chair cancel the meeting to fit his or her schedule if the vice-chair is available to conduct the meeting? If the chair can cancel the meeting at his or her discretion, what is the "normal" amount of notice that should be given -- i.e. 1 hour, 1 day?

can the chair cancel the meeting to fit his or her schedule if the vice-chair is available to conduct the meeting?

No. There is no provision in RONR for canceling a meeting. Even if both the chair and vice-chair are absent, the meeting can, and should, be held as scheduled. And as long as a quorum is present, business can be conducted as usual.

No. There is no provision in RONR for canceling a meeting. Even if both the chair and vice-chair are absent, the meeting can, and should, be held as scheduled. And as long as a quorum is present, business can be conducted as usual.

To Mr. Mountcastle, Thank you for the clarification. And to J.J. thank you, I am aware of the procedure you noted; however, that presumes we're at meeting to postpone. The case I'm most concerned with is what is in effect a late unilateral decision by the chair to cancel because the regularly scheduled meeting is not convenient to his or her schedule.

Is it safe for me to assume that a change to my association's by-laws will be needed in order to cancel a meeting with sufficient notice? I would appreciate any suggested language you may have. I'm thinking of an addition to our bylaws along the lines of, "A regularly scheduled association meeting may be canceled with a 2/3 majority vote of the members present at a previous association meeting. Notice of any such cancellation shall be given no less than 10 days prior to the regularly scheduled meeting." My thinking is that since these are generally monthly meetings, enough of the members will have to put some thought into their future schedules to have a consensus to cancel a future meeting. For example, if at least 2/3 of us know in May that we can't be at July's meeting, then we make the motion in May or June rather than realizing after June's meeting has been held and adjourned that most of the members cannot meet in July. I understand that we could still have the meeting without quorum in July and postpone business to a later meeting.

Is it safe for me to assume that a change to my association's by-laws will be needed in order to cancel a meeting with sufficient notice?

Yes.

I would appreciate any suggested language you may have.

Impossible to cite in less than 1,000 words, since this new process is 100% customized, 100% outside of RONR, and there are countless ways (50? 500?) ways of wording the language, depending on (a.) safe guards; (b.) notice to be given; (c.) who gets to do it; (d.) how a bogus cancellation is differentiated from an authentic cancellation.

Plus maybe even more subtleties which I cannot remember right now.

E.g.: How many different safety nets do you want? How do you prevent a spiteful P from canceling a meeting which is being called to impeach the P?

And so on.

Yes.

Impossible to cite in less than 1,000 words, since this new process is 100% customized, 100% outside of RONR, and there are countless ways (50? 500?) ways of wording the language, depending on (a.) safe guards; (b.) notice to be given; (c.) who gets to do it; (d.) how a bogus cancellation is differentiated from an authentic cancellation.

Plus maybe even more subtleties which I cannot remember right now.

E.g.: How many different safety nets do you want? How do you prevent a spiteful P from canceling a meeting which is being called to impeach the P?

And so on.

Touche. So noted.

Thanks everyone for your comments and help. It is much appreciated.

Archived