The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Comment period and minutes

Guest MBC

A few questions regarding minutes.

1. Our Association has had to start to allow a unit owner comment period, which turns into an attack on the board where we sit calmly, listen and do not respond. Having a hard time getting my board to just let the comments be directed at me (the chair) and not respond. How much of what the unit owners "say" to us needs to be in the minutes? We record their name and unit number but the secy. seems to think that every comment needs to be included (and some are downright mean and nasty).

2. When the Board goes into executive session, should minutes of the exec. session be kept? Due to new state laws, we are not allowed to make motions in exec session and must come out of the session to make the motion in front of everyone so the motion is in the general minutes.

3. If I understand RONR correctly, motions only need to state who made it and DO NOT include who seconded the motion?

4. Must we include how each board member votes on a motion? If so, I don't think we'll have a board left because owners will know that "john doe" voted against "x" motion.

THANK YOU for your help. Trying to do everything correctly but are up against a contingent who want to overthrow.

1. How much of what the unit owners "say" to us needs to be in the minutes?

You mean, according to Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed.)?

"Zero." - No commentary, no opinion, no slander, no libel, no innuendo, no impugning of character, no challenging the integrity of any officer or any member.

Exception: See "Discipline" (chap. xx section 61) for a case where bad words are indeed written down for the purpose of punishment.

2. When the Board goes into executive session, should minutes of the exec. session be kept?

You mean, according to Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed.)?

Yes!

This going in-and-out of executive thing of yours is NOT anything from Robert's Rules. RONR has no such double-session requirement. Anything can be done in executive session.

3. ... motions [you mean minutes? -kg] only need to state who made it and DO NOT include who seconded the motion?

Yes.

Minutes include the name of movers of motions, if the motion is important.

Minutes never contain the name of a seconder.

4. Must we include how each board member votes on a motion?...

On roll call votes, YES.

On all other methods of voting, NO.

Yes, I did mean RONR 10th ed. only have the "in brief" right now because every bookstore is out of the full 10th edition and apparently the online order is coming via carrier pigeon! The requirement of not making a motion in executive session is ridiculous.

Thank you!

Due to new state laws, we are not allowed to make motions in exec session and must come out of the session to make the motion in front of everyone so the motion is in the general minutes.

Regardless of whether that's actually what the law says, the minutes of board meetings are distinct from the minutes of meetings of the association (i.e. the general membership), just in case that's what you meant by "general minutes".

Archived