The Official RONR Q & A Forums

amending a motion previously adopted

Greg

I'm curious,

I want to amend a motion that was previously adopted by my organization.

Problem is I can't see the motion and don't know the exact language of the motion.

Is my organization required to post ALL previously adopted motions.

They don't seem to want to do this, in fact they don't seem to actually be

keeping very good records of motions passed or not passed.

So now, I'm forced to make a motion that requires my Local to post ALL motions

previously adopted to be posted on our Union website for all members to view.

There is no bylaw that speaks to this, but I want to ask only the parliamentarians out there.

Will this motion be ruled out of order? And if so, based on what?

Greg

Problem is I can't see the motion and don't know the exact language of the motion.

Is my organization required to post ALL previously adopted motions?

"Post"?

No.

No rule in RONR requires posting. Of anything.

They don't seem to want to do this, in fact they don't seem to actually be

keeping very good records of motions passed or not passed.

There is no bylaw that speaks to this, but I want to ask only the parliamentarians out there.

Yes, the motion is in order.

No, the organization need not adopt the motion.

If I were you, I'd get a pre-meeting consultation with an officer or a senior member who knows what "rule" you are talking about.

That is Job #1, since you cannot make a motion to "un-do" what no knows "what was done" in the first place. Right?

One option is to let the chair do the work of the chair, and not have YOU do the work of the chair.

That is, just make your motion with an indirect reference.

For example: "Mr. Chairman, regarding our gazebo and its rules for access, I move the following resolution: Resoved, that no smoking be allowed in the gazebo from dusk to dawn."

Let the chair and secretary look up the rule, and let the chair process the parliamentary rules of Amend Something Previously Adopted.

That is, why must you bear 100% of the burden? Why must you lead your chair by the hand?

I'm curious,

You don't need to know the exact language of a rule that has been adopted in order to amend or rescind it.

Is my organization required to post ALL previously adopted motions.

No.

No, you're not.

I've no idea. For example, if you make it at the wrong time during the meeting it may be ruled out of order for that reason. Furthermore, if your union has been in existence for a substantial length of time, I suspect that your motion to require that all previously adopted motions be posted may be deemed to be absurd. :)

• 2 weeks later...

"Post"?

No.

No rule in RONR requires posting. Of anything.

Yes, the motion is in order.

No, the organization need not adopt the motion.

If I were you, I'd get a pre-meeting consultation with an officer or a senior member who knows what "rule" you are talking about.

That is Job #1, since you cannot make a motion to "un-do" what no knows "what was done" in the first place. Right?

One option is to let the chair do the work of the chair, and not have YOU do the work of the chair.

That is, just make your motion with an indirect reference.

For example: "Mr. Chairman, regarding our gazebo and its rules for access, I move the following resolution: Resoved, that no smoking be allowed in the gazebo from dusk to dawn."

Let the chair and secretary look up the rule, and let the chair process the parliamentary rules of Amend Something Previously Adopted.

That is, why must you bear 100% of the burden? Why must you lead your chair by the hand?

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the answer, I think you really understood the question when you said, you cannot undo what no one knows

what was done.....Also, I read alot of your other answers to others questions, you seem to be dead on right. Are

you a registered or professional parliamentarian? Thanks.

Archived