The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conflict of Interest

Guest Joyce

Mr. Mountcastle's reply (I'm reasonably certain) stands again here. You would need to look to your bylaws, or other governing documents to see if there is anything preventing it. This is not to say that perhaps some conflict of interest might not develop due to this arrangement, though. Have to go case by case on that issue.

Mr. Mountcastle's reply (I'm reasonably certain) stands again here. You would need to look to your bylaws, or other governing documents to see if there is anything preventing it. This is not to say that perhaps some conflict of interest might not develop due to this arrangement, though. Have to go case by case on that issue.

However, unless your bylaws impose such a limit to this person serving, you cannot disqualify him/her from office. However, the membership may consider the issue when they vote on his election.

-Bob

Thank you.

What if the Board Member works for the organization, can he serve on the Board?

Anybody can serve on a board, as far as Robert's Rules goes.

That is because Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR tenth ed. 2000) has no qualifications for any board seat, any office, any committeeship, etc.

To pre-empt any follow up question on a parallel scenario, let me spell out how absolutely open all offices are.

Here is a partial list of "acceptable" (i.e., no rule violation per RONR) board directors and officers:

• nonmembers of the organization

• former members of the organization

• expelled members of the organization

• minors (i.e., children, not coal mine employees)

• convicted felons

• spouses

• ex-spouses

• live-ins, shack-ups, POSSLQs

• in-laws

• out-laws

• siblings

• illegal aliens

• extra terrestrials

• defrocked clergy

• left-handed, red-headed strangers

To repeat, RONR contains no criteria which will prevent the voters from voting in anyone to anything:

• Secretaries, who cannot read and write.

• Treasurers, who cannot add and subtract

• Chaplains, who cannot tell Right from Wrong.

• Color-bearers, who cannot tell red from green.

See your bylaws for your restrictions.

Archived