The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Whose Time is it anyway ?

Guest KNSaisi

When a person is recognized, and they ask a question through the chair of another person, whose time is charged? If the person asking the question's time is charged, the respondent may be long winded and take up the remainder of the person's time. If the respondent's time is charged do they get a chance to speak with their own question/comments? If neither is charged, the meeting can go on for significantly longer than anticipated.

Example:

Charlie has 10 minutes. he asks Fred a question, and Fred takes seven minutes to answer the question. How much time does Charlie have left?

A. 10 minutes

B. 9 Minutes

C. 3 Minutes

When a person is recognized, and they ask a question through the chair of another person, whose time is charged? If the person asking the question's time is charged, the respondent may be long winded and take up the remainder of the person's time. If the respondent's time is charged do they get a chance to speak with their own question/comments? If neither is charged, the meeting can go on for significantly longer than anticipated.

Example:

Charlie has 10 minutes. he asks Fred a question, and Fred takes seven minutes to answer the question. How much time does Charlie have left?

A. 10 minutes

B. 9 Minutes

C. 3 Minutes

Provided this is a proper Point of Information (p. 282) Charlie has three minutes left.

Example:

A. 10 minutes

B. 9 Minutes

C. 3 Minutes

The first question is if Fred was speaking in debate? If he is not speaking in debate no one has time charged against them (though it is unclear if and how the Chair can put an end to a lengthy response). If Fred is speaking in debate (and consents to the interruption-which from the question it appears he did) the time spent in interplay between Fred and Charlie would count against Fred. Then the second question is how much time has Fred spent in debate before Charlie asked his question? Then amount of time Fred spoke before the question minus the amount of time spent in interplay is how much time Fred has left.

Hopefully Dan won't "Oh my" me as well. :)

Why wouldn't it count against Charlie's time?

Charlie is not recognized for any time or may have used it (assuming Fred is properly recognized). P. 283. l 3-4 seem to indicate the member speaking might ask another member a question of another person.

Fred: Blah, blah, blah. Mr. President, a point of information. Could the most senior member here (Charlie) please explain the history of experiences with this contractor?

Chair: Mr. Charlie?

Charlie: Blah, blah.

P. 283, l 3-4 do show a question being direct to someone not being recognized to speak.

Let me illustrate...

Mr. Charlie: Mr. Moderator

Moderator: The Chair recognizes Mr. Charlie for 10 minutes

Mr. Charlie: Mr. Moderator, would Mr. Fred explain why his budget has increased this past year.

Moderator: Is Mr. Fred willing to answer the question?

Mr Fred: Certainly....(7 minutes later)... Does that answer the gentleman's question?

Mr. Charlie: Yes, Thank you.

Let me illustrate...

Mr. Charlie: Mr. Moderator

Moderator: The Chair recognizes Mr. Charlie for 10 minutes

Mr. Charlie: Mr. Moderator, would Mr. Fred explain why his budget has increased this past year.

Moderator: Is Mr. Fred willing to answer the question?

Mr Fred: Certainly....(7 minutes later)... Does that answer the gentleman's question?

Mr. Charlie: Yes, Thank you.

I would still Charlie has used the time and has three minutes left.

If not, I'd hope the 11 edition would greatly clarify it.

I would still Charlie has used the time and has three minutes left.

I agree.

Merely asking a question (rising to a point of information) is not counted as speaking in debate. However, in the example given, Charlie obviously did not state that he was rising to a point of information, and was recognized by the chair for the purpose of speaking in debate. He now has three minutes remaining.

Archived