The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"Privileged Motion"

Guest Chuck D.

Hi

This was a new type of motion a club member decided to use, but not define.

Can someone explane what a "Privileged Motion" may be...

Thanks

Chuck D.

to quote page 64, "have to do with special matters of immediate and overwhelming importance which, without debate, should be allowed to interrupt the consideration of anything else."

This was a new type of motion a club member decided to use, but not define.

Can someone explain what a "Privileged Motion" may be?

Not enough info.

1.) There is a motion called "Raise a Question of Privilege". (see page 216 in RONR.)

Q. Was this what your member was referring to?

2.) There is class of motions, five in number, and in a ranked order, referred to as "Privileged Motions." (see page 64 in RONR.)

Q. Was this what your member was referring to?

Hi,

Thanks for the infomation. I will admit that I was not at the meeting, but how it was discribed to me, this Privilaged Motion was to squash discussion... I will ask for clarification.

Thanks,

Chuck D.

PS: I will be posting another question on Filibustering as part of Robert's rules, so please look for that discussion post.

I will admit that I was not at the meeting, but how it was discribed to me, this Privilaged Motion was to squash discussion... I will ask for clarification.

The member is most likely referring to the motion for the Previous Question, which ends debate and brings the pending motion (or a series of pending motions) to an immediate vote. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 189, lines 25-27) It requires a 2/3 vote for adoption. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 192, line 24) It is actually a subsidiary motion, not a privileged motion.

PS: I will be posting another question on Filibustering as part of Robert's rules, so please look for that discussion post.

I'll save you some time - you can't filibuster under RONR.

The member is most likely referring to the motion for the Previous Question, which ends debate and brings the pending motion (or a series of pending motions) to an immediate vote. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 189, lines 25-27) It requires a 2/3 vote for adoption. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 192, line 24) It is actually a subsidiary motion, not a privileged motion.

I'll save you some time - you can't filibuster under RONR.

I'll Chuck D. really needs more than that. But you probably did set him on the right track.

Archived