The Official RONR Q & A Forums

resignation of chairman

Guest j. williams

If the chairman resigns resigns and the vice-chairman doesn't want to assume the position of chairman, what is the next step.

The first step is to carefully check your bylaws regarding how the chairman is replaced.

If they say the vice-chairman automatically becomes chairman when a vacancy occurs, you may have to elect two new officers.

The first step is to carefully check your bylaws regarding how the chairman is replaced.

If they say the vice-chairman automatically becomes chairman when a vacancy occurs, you may have to elect two new officers.

Then, take disciplinary action against the vice chairman for dereliction of duty. If the vice chairman did not want to fill an unexpired term, he should not have stood for election as vice chairman; since he did stand, win, and accept the office, he is obligated to serve unless he is legitimately impeded. See FAQ #20 at the Robert's Rules of Order website, www.robertsrules.com.

I think this can be a common misconception about the Vice-Chairman (or Vice-President) position, in that people think it is merely an easy position - you only have to stand in when the Chairman (President) is not available - and in most cases where the Chairman (President) always performs his/her duties, the Vice Chairman/President has an easy time of things.

Perhaps this organization needs to make it clear to anyone running for Vice-Chairman in the future, that should the Chairman resigns, or is not present at a meeting, that the elected Vice-Chairman will take over for the Chairman. Also, perhaps the By-laws could be changed to give the Vice-Chairman actual responsibilities, and not just as a glorified figure head. For example, the Vice-Chairman may be responsible for Chairing certain Committees (i.e. the Vice-Chairman will also be Chairman of the Membership Committee), or some other responsibility (i.e. for marketing the organization.) That way, the candidate who becomes Vice-Chairman has duties, and may not see the position as an easy ride.

Archived