The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Call in voting

Guest Sam

Our Bylaws do not address "call in" voting for members who are out of town and want to vote via "conference call". It prohibits absentee or proxy voting but does not specifically addresss this particular voting method.

If the individual wants to relinquish his or her"secrte" voting rights, I personally see no harm in it. That said, I thought I might ask the xperts on this forum.

Thanks,

Sam

Our Bylaws do not address "call in" voting for members who are out of town and want to vote via "conference call". It prohibits absentee or proxy voting but does not specifically addresss this particular voting method.

If the individual wants to relinquish his or her"secrte" voting rights, I personally see no harm in it. That said, I thought I might ask the xperts on this forum.

Thanks,

Sam

All forms of absentee voting (and someone who is voting by conference call because they are out of town and is absent from the meeting would be the very definition of absentee voting) is not allowed unless the bylaws specifically permits it (RONR pp. 408-409).

Thanks,

Sam

Counting the votes of those who are absent with those who are present at a meeting violates a fundamental principle of parliamentary law that voting is limited to those who are actually present at the meeting when the vote is taken. The vote by the caller should be recorded as an illegal vote by an illegal voter and rejected. See RONR (10th ed.), pp. 408, 409.

Under quorum voting, the Bylaws do allow for call-in voting on questions before the Board. Can we then take a liberal view that this would also apply to nominations and voting on officers?

No. The fact that the bylaws permit call-in-voting for one case implies that it is prohibited in all others. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 571.

P.S. No telling what is "quorum voting", but that's a matter for a different time.

Archived