The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Seconding

Guest Nan

I guess that is what is confusing me. Does this mean that the Chair is technically allowed to, since he has the same rights as other members, but shouldn't, for the sake of impartiality? I think I also read somewhere else that he may not second motions.

I guess that is what is confusing me. Does this mean that the Chair is technically allowed to, since he has the same rights as other members, but shouldn't, for the sake of impartiality? I think I also read somewhere else that he may not second motions.

The chair probably should not second a motion, but it wouldn't invalidate the motion if he/she did.

I guess that is what is confusing me. Does this mean that the Chair is technically allowed to, since he has the same rights as other members, but shouldn't, for the sake of impartiality?

Yes. However, (and FAQ #1 doesn't address this) if the body in question is a Board with about a dozen members or less present the Chair can participate fully without having to worry about being impartial (RONR pp. 470-471).

Thanks, that is helpful although I was starting to lean the other way since in the "Official Interpretations" section it says the following: "the impartiality required of the chair in an assembly precludes his exercising these rights while he is presiding." I took that to mean that while acting as the presiding officer, he/she could not exercise those rights. The issue of smaller boards was also addressed there. Still, there seems to be wiggle-room on this point.

Thanks, that is helpful although I was starting to lean the other way since in the "Official Interpretations" section it says the following: "the impartiality required of the chair in an assembly precludes his exercising these rights while he is presiding." I took that to mean that while acting as the presiding officer, he/she could not exercise those rights. The issue of smaller boards was also addressed there. Still, there seems to be wiggle-room on this point.

Nicely read, Nan. Perhaps OY #1 should be rewritten to make clear that the precluding is done by the chair himself, recognizing his responsibility to refrain from exercising those rights, and it cannot be forced on him.

Perhaps OY #1 should be rewritten to make clear that the precluding is done by the chair himself, recognizing his responsibility to refrain from exercising those rights, and it cannot be forced on him.

Oy!

It's FAQ #1, of course. And I suppose if you're precluding yourself it's just plain "cluding".

Archived