The Official RONR Q & A Forums

correcting the minutes

Guest mary laurence

The minutes of our last public board meeting do not accurately reflect the events that transpired. An illegal addition to our agenda was submitted in the forma of a motion as I--the presiding officer--was in the process of declaring the meeting "adjourned." Because the addition was illegal, I did not allow a vote on the motion, and the motion was withdrawn. The secretary, however, recorded that the motion was tabled. I am prepared to offer a correction to the minutes before they are approved at our next board meeting. I expect that the member offering the illegal addition and motion will contest my correction. Do the board members vote on the accuracy of the correction? How is this handled?

The minutes of our last public board meeting do not accurately reflect the events that transpired. An illegal addition to our agenda was submitted in the forma of a motion as I--the presiding officer--was in the process of declaring the meeting "adjourned." Because the addition was illegal, I did not allow a vote on the motion, and the motion was withdrawn. The secretary, however, recorded that the motion was tabled. I am prepared to offer a correction to the minutes before they are approved at our next board meeting. I expect that the member offering the illegal addition and motion will contest my correction. Do the board members vote on the accuracy of the correction? How is this handled?

Corrections are often handled by unanimous consent; otherwise, they can be handled like any other subsidiary motion to Amend. The motion to Amend, when formally made, requires a second, is debatable and amendable, and requires a majority vote for adoption.

Archived