The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions

Guest Sandi Jackson

Concerning minutes: Am I correct in saying minutes do not have to be voted on. As long as you have a motion and second to approve, they are approved. Can you not also say, "Without objection, the minutes are approved>"

While it is more efficient for the Chair to declare the minutes approved (after asking for any corrections), a vote to approve the minutes (at the appropriate time) is not out of order. It's just kind-a silly because if you're going to vote no on the approval, that means you (should) want to offer a correction, and that's really what you should do.

I would venture to say that if the custom in your organization has been to vote on the approval, there's nothing wrong with that. But - just because you have a motion and second, it doesn't stop there. That's not enough to say the they are approved. The chair should state the question (all this in favor / opposed), followed by debate (if any) and amendments (ie corrections if any) and then a majority vote will take it from there.

RONR (10th Ed.) p. 343 ll. 19-22

"Whether or not a motion for approval has been offered, the chair may simply say, "If there are no corrections [or "no further corrections"], the minutes stand [or "are"] approved [or "approved as read," or "approved as corrected"]." (RONR, 10th ed., p. 343, l. 24-28, emphasis supplied).

"Whether or not a motion for approval has been offered, the chair may simply say, "If there are no corrections [or "no further corrections"], the minutes stand [or "are"] approved [or "approved as read," or "approved as corrected"]." (RONR, 10th ed., p. 343, l. 24-28, emphasis supplied).

Well, so it is written, so it shall be. I was thinking along the lines of p. 37 ll. 17-20, but "in principle", I guess there's an exception to (almost) every rule. Lesson learned. Again.

(scraping sound you hear is me shimmying back in off the limb)

Archived