The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Misplaced nomination?

Guest Farmersdaughter

Guest Farmersdaughter

Prior to me leaving on vacation a small group of members sat down and made out our nomination for the up coming election. As we had some difference of who we wanted in each office several different members were nominated of same office. Our club house was to be open to drop off the nominations however it was locked. It was brought to the presidents attention and he sent someone to the clubhouse to except the nominations. The member that responded is the current sec. she gather all the nominations. Heres the problem now that the ballot is out NONE of the nomination from this small group made are on the ballot. The members attempted to file a complaint however NO ONE will listen. With the "lost" nominations this allows several of the current board member to run unopposed. Of course the members could not wait for me to get back from vacation to contact me. I just really want to make sure that I have told them the right thing. First we can still campaine for a write in member. Second if we should fail at this we can get enough together to ask for the unopposed officer to be removed. Ok final question should the Sec. have even touched the nominations at all as she knew she was going to be on the ballot? Guys I am in over my head !!!!!!!!

I am in over my head!

Don't confuse a piece of paper with a nomination. Nominations are made at meetings, not slipped under a door. If your club has a different procedure, you'll have to figure out how it works (or doesn't).

You might try re-opening nominations prior to the election. Or, as you note, conduct a write-in campaign. If enough members think the process stinks, you should have no problem fixing it: tear up the ballots and start over.

Don't confuse a piece of paper with a nomination. Nominations are made at meetings, not slipped under a door. If your club has a different procedure, you'll have to figure out how it works (or doesn't).

You might try re-opening nominations prior to the election. Or, as you note, conduct a write-in campaign. If enough members think the process stinks, you should have no problem fixing it: tear up the ballots and start over.

I reread the by-laws and there is no mention of how the nominations are to take place. The only thing the by-laws refer to is the nominating committee:

The nominating committee shall during the year interveiw prospective candidates for office on the EX committee for the coming years election. They shall prepare a slate of candidates for election. The selection should be such to create a broad representation for the POA.

Ok will all that on the nomination form it says: " all notinations MUST BE turned in by August 7th. Any nominations recieved after Aug 7th will not be eligible to run for office. Nomination can be drop in box outside the club house or by dropping them off in person in Aug 7th 2pm -8pm.

This is the only infor about nomination period. It is also written in the by-laws Roberts Rules of Order shall be follow it not specific stated in by-laws. With so many options in RR what do you believe is the best method? The only method that looks even close to what is practices is Nominations by mail. HELP !!!!!! There is not way the current nomination committee will make a recommidation for anyone beside the ones that is currently on the board. Seems like they have the upper hand on keeping the door closed....

I reread the by-laws and there is no mention of how the nominations are to take place. The only thing the by-laws refer to is the nominating committee:

The nominating committee shall during the year interveiw prospective candidates for office on the EX committee for the coming years election. They shall prepare a slate of candidates for election. The selection should be such to create a broad representation for the POA.

Ok will all that on the nomination form it says: " all notinations MUST BE turned in by August 7th. Any nominations recieved after Aug 7th will not be eligible to run for office. Nomination can be drop in box outside the club house or by dropping them off in person in Aug 7th 2pm -8pm.

This is the only infor about nomination period. It is also written in the by-laws Roberts Rules of Order shall be follow it not specific stated in by-laws. With so many options in RR what do you believe is the best method? The only method that looks even close to what is practices is Nominations by mail. HELP !!!!!! There is not way the current nomination committee will make a recommidation for anyone beside the ones that is currently on the board. Seems like they have the upper hand on keeping the door closed....

Since the bylaws doesn't provide for any other guidance besides regarding the nominating committee I would argue that the provision on RONR p. 421 would apply.

After the nominating committee has presented its report and before voting for the different offices takes place, the chair must call for further nominations from the floor. This is another stage of nomination and election procedure for which a number of details should be established by rule or custom of the particular organization.

So unless the Membership has established the rule or custom regarding the nomination form it is not binding on the members.

Archived