The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion

Guest Sunshine

Not unless the adopted motion is still under the Committee's control (did the Committee report to another body who took action on it?).

Yes, the committee submitted the approved motion to its governing committee. It was approved at that level also. Can you provide reference where in RROO this would be?

Yes, the committee submitted the approved motion to its governing committee. It was approved at that level also. Can you provide reference where in RROO this would be?

RONR p. 302 lines 11-15. However, the member (if a member of the Governing Committee) can move to Rescind the adopted motion (assuming it hasn't been fully executed yet). See RONR pp. 293-299.

Chris, why can't the standing committee make a new recommendation to the government committee - to rescind "X"?

Would it be proper for a committee to take up something that is not currently under its control and make a recommendation regarding it? If I were the Governing Committee I might think that they aren't getting enough to do if they are taking up stuff not within their purview and then load them up with work. :D Seriously though, maybe the bylaws or a previously adopted motion would have kept it within the Committee's purview but nothing Sunshine has said suggests that.

maybe the bylaws or a previously adopted motion would have kept it within the Committee's purview but nothing Sunshine has said suggests that.

FWIW, I assumed this standing committee took it on its own initiative to make the recommendation and now they're having second thoughts. For example, the Recreation Committee might have recommended the annual trip be to the Gulf Coast. They can't rescind that motion but they could make another, different recommendation.

FWIW, I assumed this standing committee took it on its own initiative to make the recommendation and now they're having second thoughts. For example, the Recreation Committee might have recommended the annual trip be to the Gulf Coast. They can't rescind that motion but they could make another, different recommendation.

As far as I can see from the stated facts, it is just a new committee member who wants to "revisit the motion and change it."

He'll need a little help. :)

2 years ago standing committee made motion, seconded, held discussion and approved. A new member has joined the committee, wants to revisit the motion and change it. Is this allowable?

If the matter is still in the control of the committee, yes. The proper motion is Reconsider, RONR (10th ed.), §37, pp. 304. Note especially the particular rules for standing and special committees, pp. 318, 319.

But we have been told that the committee "submitted the approved motion to its governing committee" where it was also approved, apparently very long ago.

I think this committee can forget about motions to reconsider.

Ah! I am sorry. I didn't pick up on this additional fact. sad.gif I agree that the matter is out of the control of the committee, and a motion to Reconsider in this committee is not in order.

As far as I can see from the stated facts, it is just a new committee member who wants to "revisit the motion and change it."

He'll need a little help. :)

If I understand the situation, then can't the committee bring up the issue as fresh new business, as I think Mr Mervosh and Mr Mt suggest?

Archived