The Official RONR Q & A Forums

suspention of rules or by laws

Guest mal burnstein

Is there a provision in RR to suspend the by laws to adopt a different procedure?

No, in most cases.

Yes, in a limited number of things.

Q. What did you have in mind?

Qualifications for office? No can do.

Meeting dates? No can do.

Deadlines? No can do.

Limits of debate? Yes, si se puede!

Re-opening nominations? Yes, ja ja!

• Have someone other than the president act as the presiding officer? Yes, da, da!

How different are you going for? ;)

No, in most cases.

Yes, in a limited number of things.

Q. What did you have in mind?

Qualifications for office? No can do.

Meeting dates? No can do.

Deadlines? No can do.

Limits of debate? Yes, si se puede!

Re-opening nominations? Yes, ja ja!

• Have someone other than the president act as the presiding officer? Yes, da, da!

How different are you going for? ;)

What I had in mind was suspending the by laws re the time for nomination for the endorsement of candidates running for pblic office.

I bet I'm not the only one who doesn't follow what "nomination for the endorsement" is (or there would have been somebody's follow-up reply), but I'll say this, on the unlikely off-chance that it will be helpful. If "... a rule has its application outside of a meeting context, it cannot be suspended" (top of p. 257). So if these bylaw provisions have to do with nominations by mail, or e-mail, or the like, it cannot be suspended.

And if "the by laws re the time for nomination" refers to rules that protect absentees (or most anyone else, come to think of it), they cannot be suspended (p. 255, somewhere between the top and the bottom).

If, though, these rules have their effect in a meeting, "rules clearly identifiable as in the nature of rules of order that are placed within the blaws can also be suspended by a two-thirds vote...." (With exceptions, such as rules that protect absentees.)

Archived