The Official RONR Q & A Forums

board procedures

Guest Sheree

I am a new Chairperson of a new charity board. Another board memeber wants to use common sense rulings on a paticular subject instead of going by the By Laws of the club. I as the Chairperson am the only one who is against this. What are my options, am I overruled if the rest of the board wants to do it this way. Or do I have the right as Chairperson to overide the rest of the board.

What are my options, am I overruled if the rest of the board wants to do it this way. Or do I have the right as Chairperson to overide the rest of the board.

Majority rules. But you could take your case to the general membership and suggest they replace those board members with ones will obey the bylaws.

And, if the bylaws don't make (common) sense, perhaps they need amending.

I am a new chairperson of a small charity board. The board wants to ask our membership committee to revisit a decision they made. I feel this is wrong, because the membership committee followed all the By Laws in making their orginal decision. One of the board members has a personal stake in the outcome of the decision. Also our By Laws state that a person on the membership committee has to be at our meeting to vote. One member was at the meeting, but had to leave early, he texted in his vote. Does this follow the letter of the By Laws?

... I feel this is wrong, because the membership committee followed all the By Laws in making their orginal decision.

... Also our By Laws state that a person on the membership committee has to be at our meeting to vote.

One member was at the meeting, but had to leave early, he texted in his vote.

Does this follow the letter of the By Laws?

What bylaws?

All we have is your word for it. - "The membership committee followed all the Bylaws."

Sure, they did. <_<

("Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, squire!" - Monty Python)

We cannot answer a question "Does X follow the bylaws" when you've quoted no bylaws' rules.

All we have is your guess, or your gut feeling, whether the bylaws were (or weren't) complied with.

If your bylaws allow for "texting", then that is that.

But no one reading your post knows if texting conforms (or does not conform) with your (unseen, uncited) bylaws.

The By Laws are spelled out very well. Just that this board member is unhappy with the results. That is what I am finding so hard to deal with. The committee went by the rules and yet the rest of the board wants them to revist their decision. I think it shows lack of faith in our committee's.

What bylaws?

All we have is your word for it. - "The membership committee followed all the Bylaws."

Sure, they did. <_<

("Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, squire!" - Monty Python)

We cannot answer a question "Does X follow the bylaws" when you've quoted no bylaws' rules.

All we have is your guess, or your gut feeling, whether the bylaws were (or weren't) complied with.

If your bylaws allow for "texting", then that is that.

But no one reading your post knows if texting conforms (or does not conform) with your (unseen, uncited) bylaws.

Sorry, as you can tell very new at this.

THE MEMBERSHIP PHASE: The “Membership Phase” will begin and end at the AnnualReunion. During this phase, the invited guest will be spoken to, observed, and evaluated. It is the purpose of this phase to make sure that the guest WANTS to be a member of our organization, and that the organization WANTS the guest to become a member.

Guest have to attend at least one (01) reunion before he/she can become a full member. If he/she has attended as a guest in the past, that attendance will satisfy this requirement. If a guest is invited to a reunion in order to become a full member, and has not attended as a guest in the past but cannot attend for whatever reason, he/she will be reverted to a Prospect. If a guest is invited to a reunion in order to become a full member, and has attended as a guest in the past but cannot attend for whatever reason, he/she will be considered for membership.

At a specific time and place, as designated by the Membership Officer or the President, the Membership Committee will hold the last vote on each guest. (The Membership Committee will consist of every member of the committee AT THE REUNION. No additional members will be assigned if members are not present.)

During this final vote, each potential guest will need 80% positive vote to become an actual Member. If, at this time, a guest does NOT receive 80% positive vote, that guest will revert back to a Prospective Member and will be eligible for the next year. For any guest that do receive 80% positive vote, they will be notified as directed by the Membership Officer or President.

At a specific time and place, as designated by the President, those guest that did receive an 80% positive vote will become an actual Member. He/she will be awarded all rights and privileges of membership. This will include, but is not limited to: voting, attending annual business meetings, serving as committee members, serving as chairman of a committee, serving as a director, being elected as an officer.

THE MEMBERSHIP PHASE: The “Membership Phase” will begin and end at the AnnualReunion. During this phase, the invited guest will be spoken to, observed, and evaluated. It is the purpose of this phase to make sure that the guest WANTS to be a member of our organization, and that the organization WANTS the guest to become a member.

Guest have to attend at least one (01) reunion before he/she can become a full member. If he/she has attended as a guest in the past, that attendance will satisfy this requirement. If a guest is invited to a reunion in order to become a full member, and has not attended as a guest in the past but cannot attend for whatever reason, he/she will be reverted to a Prospect. If a guest is invited to a reunion in order to become a full member, and has attended as a guest in the past but cannot attend for whatever reason, he/she will be considered for membership.

At a specific time and place, as designated by the Membership Officer or the President, the Membership Committee will hold the last vote on each guest. (The Membership Committee will consist of every member of the committee AT THE REUNION. No additional members will be assigned if members are not present.)

During this final vote, each potential guest will need 80% positive vote to become an actual Member. If, at this time, a guest does NOT receive 80% positive vote, that guest will revert back to a Prospective Member and will be eligible for the next year. For any guest that do receive 80% positive vote, they will be notified as directed by the Membership Officer or President.

At a specific time and place, as designated by the President, those guest that did receive an 80% positive vote will become an actual Member. He/she will be awarded all rights and privileges of membership. This will include, but is not limited to: voting, attending annual business meetings, serving as committee members, serving as chairman of a committee, serving as a director, being elected as an officer.

Swell. :rolleyes:

...During this final vote, each potential guest will need 80% positive vote to become an actual Member.

... At a specific time and place, as designated by the President, those guest that did receive an 80% positive vote will become an actual Member. He/she will be awarded all rights and privileges of membership.

I don't care if your committee DID or DIDN'T comply or not comply. - So your original question isn't even relevant.

Your rule of interest is the 80% vote.

If that "80% vote" occurred, then I see no alternative - I see no board powers granted implying, e.g., "Board shall kick back any 80% vote the board doesn't like."

Q. What rule do YOU see allowing the board to ignore or override the "80% vote"?

Swell. :rolleyes:

I don't care if your committee DID or DIDN'T comply or not comply. - So your original question isn't even relevant.

Your rule of interest is the 80% vote.

If that "80% vote" occurred, then I see no alternative - I see no board powers granted implying, e.g., "Board shall kick back any 80% vote the board doesn't like."

Q. What rule do YOU see allowing the board to ignore or override the "80% vote"?

Thats my point, I dont see it. I see the committee voted 80% not to let this person become a member, and that should be the end of it. But the other board memebers think I should use my "commom sense" and ask for a revote based on information we received after the orginal vote. The By Laws states that the membership phase begins and ends at the reunion. We can revise the By Laws for next year, but cannot change anything this year, and I am not in favor of asking the committee to revisit this because they did not break any By Laws.

... But the other board members think I should use my "common sense" and ask for a revote based on information we received after the original vote.

The By Laws states that the membership phase begins and ends at the reunion.

We can revise the By Laws for next year, but cannot change anything this year, and I am not in favor of asking the committee to revisit this because they did not break any By Laws.

See RONR for technical details.

See the examples where the other party is notified.

• If no notification has occurred, then some things can be "Reconsidered" (the technical motion) or "Rescinded" (the technical motion).

• If notification is completed, then nothing can be "Reconsidered". But some things (not membership, sorry to say) can be "Rescinded."

Q. What is the status of notifying the new "actual members"? Done, or not yet done?

This may be a vital pivot point in determining the correct parliamentary step. - If any!

See RONR for technical details.

See the examples where the other party is notified.

• If no notification has occurred, then some things can be "Reconsidered" (the technical motion) or "Rescinded" (the technical motion).

• If notification is completed, then nothing can be "Reconsidered". But some things (not membership, sorry to say) can be "Rescinded."

Q. What is the status of notifying the new "actual members"? Done, or not yet done?

This may be a vital pivot point in determining the correct parliamentary step. - If any!

A few late remarks. (I don't mean the remarks are dead!)

I don't see what new Chairperson Sheree's problems are.

1. I don't think the board's wanting to ask the committee to do something violates any bylaws, or anything else. The board can ask the committee to look again at those proposed memberships. Per the bylaws, the membership are over with; but the board can ask. The board can ask the committee to sprout wings and fly, but guess what? The board can ask me for the keys to my parliamentary silver Porsche, but guess what?

1 (a). Of course, if the bylaws allowed the committee to consider again the membership applications that it rejected (or, for that matter, any applications that it approved), that would be another thing, to which, I expect, Sheree would have no objection.

-- 1 (B). I suppose that Chairperson Sheree is concerned that the board, in its request, is asking the committee to violate the bylaws, which I agree is a consideration. But since the board itself has not violated anything, Sheree has no parliamentary recourse. She can cheerfully advise the committee that it has her endorsement and support should its members choose to advise the "common-sense" board members to, um, taxidermy themselves.

2. I was getting myself really worked up about KG's "All we have is your word for it. - "The membership committee followed all the Bylaws."

Sure, they did. <_<

("Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, squire!" - Monty Python)". But apparently he meant no offense, and fortunately Sheree took none, so I'm letting it go.

3. I think Sheree's post of Posted Yesterday, 02:16 PM, is the alpha and omega of the discussion, with the membership phase over and done with. Too bad about the late-arrived information; if the bylaws are too restrictive, then change them, as Mr Mt said at the outset here. The rejected non-member needs to taxidermy herself, and her influence-peddling pals with her.

New question, when we wrote and passed the By Laws, we wrote in them that the BOD can have electronic meeting and voting, but forgot to do the same for the officers and committees. Since we are a national club, we have no choice but to do it this way or not really get anything done except at our yearly meeting. Can we temporarily amend the By Laws and add electronic meetings for the officers and committees?

Can we temporarily amend the By Laws and add electronic meetings for the officers and committees?

Sure, but you'll have to follow the proper amendment procedures. In other words, a temporary amendment is no different than a permanent one (except it doesn't last as long!). In still other words, there are no shortcuts to changing the bylaws.

Archived