The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Assoc. Books and paperwork

Guest H. Armstrong

How long does the last president have to hand over all of the books and pertinent information to the new board of Directors, and the new President.

Once the old president is no longer president, he has no right to anything that belongs to the president. So I guess the answer is, immediately upon leaving office.

I have a question if anyone can give me an answer that would be great. How long does the last president have to hand over all of the books and pertinent information to the new board of Directors, and the new President.

RONR doesn't answer your question. That is something that should be codified as a rule (and possibly put in the bylaws). However, I think that if the new President takes over upon being elected the books and pertinent information should be on hand at the election in case someone else is elected so they can be supplied to the new President at once. If there is a time period between the election and when the President takes over I think the books and pertinent information should be given to the new President a reasonable time beforehand so the new President can be up to speed before taking over.

So what you are telling me is that since they are no longer the president, that having papers and such in their possession is a legal offence and legal action can be taken.

Trim your sails, sailor. ;)

I think we all are saying, "If X is entrusted to the president, then no former president, no non-president, etc., has authority to hold or control X."

We don't practice law. We don't advise to sue, to arrest, to try, to convict.

You asked about deadlines. You asked about how to turn over property or papers.

You got you answer (namely, no answer within RONR).

What you do above and beyond parliamentary procedure, is up to you, collectively.

Archived