The Official RONR Q & A Forums

bring a tabled motion back for discussion

Guest Debbie

At the last meeting of an organization to which I belong, a motion was hotly debated, then a motion was made to table the original motion, which passed by a majority vote. Does the motion automatically go on the agenda of the next meeting under "Old Business"? If not, what is the proper procedure for getting the body to resume discussion of the original motion?

At the last meeting of an organization to which I belong, a motion was hotly debated, then a motion was made to table the original motion, which passed by a majority vote. Does the motion automatically go on the agenda of the next meeting under "Old Business"? If not, what is the proper procedure for getting the body to resume discussion of the original motion?

At the last meeting of an organization to which I belong, a motion was hotly debated, then a motion was made to table the original motion, which passed by a majority vote.

Does the motion automatically go on the agenda of the next meeting under "Old Business"?

If not, what is the proper procedure for getting the body to resume discussion of the original motion?

Does the motion automatically go on the agenda of the next meeting under "Old Business"?

Impossible.

There is no such class of business as "old business" in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed. 2000).

What is the proper procedure for getting the body to resume discussion of the original motion?

The complementary motion to "Lay On The Table" is "Take From The Table."

It is like matching socks or matching bookends. - "Lay On ..." and "Take From ...".

Kind of like what Mr. Miyagi taught Daniel in the 1984 film "The Karate Kid" (Part I): "Wax on. Wax off." :)

Impossible.

There is no such class of business as "old business" in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed. 2000).

Which, by means of attempting to clarify for you Debbie, is to say the class is referred to as "Unfinished Business". Much business addressed in previous meetings is "old" business, but it is also "finished." So, the impossible becomes possible under the right terminology.

Archived