The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"Point of Order!" - Audience Member

Guest Hooter

Board motion and second to take an action in a manner that violates state law, in this case California's Open Meeting Act, Civil Code 1353.05(i) that requires all items to be discussed and voted upon to be included in a properly published advance agenda, and hurries to take a vote without debate. Can an audience member raise his hand, cry out "Point of Order", and when recognized state the state law about to be broken and voice his disapproval of such conduct?

Board motion and second to take an action in a manner that violates state law, in this case California's Open Meeting Act, Civil Code 1353.05(i) that requires all items to be discussed and voted upon to be included in a properly published advance agenda, and hurries to take a vote without debate. Can an audience member raise his hand, cry out "Point of Order", and when recognized state the state law about to be broken and voice his disapproval of such conduct?

No.

Only members of the group meeting have the right to make motions and speak in debate.

-Bob

Audience member not a member of the Board of Directors, but a member in good standing of the homeowner association and attending a properly noticed public meeting of the Board of Directors. Further, after the member called out "Point of Order", the chairman of the meeting recognized and called upon the member to speak.

Audience member not a member of the Board of Directors, but a member in good standing of the homeowner association and attending a properly noticed public meeting of the Board of Directors. Further, after the member called out "Point of Order", the chairman of the meeting recognized and called upon the member to speak.

So tell him before the next meeting that he need not and should not do it again.

I'm curious George, which "he" need/should not do "what"? or perhaps both "he's?" (as I suspect)

The presiding officer, at a board of directors' meeting, need not recognize anyone who is not a member of the board of directors. (You DAFy person, you didn't know this?)

Didn't see this, but thanks to Gary & Fluffy for covering my back.

The presiding officer, at a board of directors' meeting, need not recognize anyone who is not a member of the board of directors. (You DAFy person, you didn't know this?)

Oh golly yes of course. It's one of the mantras here (non-members, no rights, throw their @$$e$ out of the meeting hall, yada yada). It's almost worthy of FAQ #21. But.... well, I was ...... oh, never mind.

Archived