The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Re-Consider

Guest NewarkOhio

Our council rules allow for any member who voted on the prevailing side of an issue to make a motion for re-consideration at the next scheduled meeting. My question is whether the second to the motion has to come from someone on the prevailing side or if anyone can second the motion. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Our council rules allow for any member who voted on the prevailing side of an issue to make a motion for re-consideration at the next scheduled meeting. My question is whether the second to the motion has to come from someone on the prevailing side or if anyone can second the motion. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Anyone can second it, regardless of which side they voted on previously.

Any member may second the motion but note that, as far as RONR is concerned, the next meeting is too late for a motion to reconsider. Though, as you indicate, your rules seem to permit it.

At the next meeting any member can make a motion to rescind (or otherwise amend) an adopted motion and any member can make a motion to renew (make again) a defeated motion. So no need to reconsider at all.

That's a rule specific to your council, so we can be of little help with the details.

In Robert's Rules' version of the motion to Reconsider, the second can come from any member.

Any member may second the motion but note that, as far as RONR is concerned, the next meeting is too late for a motion to reconsider. Though, as you indicate, your rules seem to permit it.

At the next meeting any member can make a motion to rescind (or otherwise amend) an adopted motion and any member can make a motion to renew (make again) a defeated motion. So no need to reconsider at all.

Under their rules, maybe not.

Archived