The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws Creation

zwatkins

I'm advising a new colony organization and they have to create bylaws in order to be recognized by the national organization. Do these bylaws initially have to be passed by a simple majority vote, or 2/3rds vote. I know that most bylaws stipulate that any revision or amendment is a 2/3rds vote, but I wasn't sure about the initial passing.

I'm advising a new colony organization and they have to create bylaws in order to be recognized by the national organization. Do these bylaws initially have to be passed by a simple majority vote, or 2/3rds vote. I know that most bylaws stipulate that any revision or amendment is a 2/3rds vote, but I wasn't sure about the initial passing.

The adoption of the bylaws requires a majority vote. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 542, l. 23-27.

They have to create bylaws to be an organization. RONR(10th ed.), p. 538, l. 8-11.

Well, that's only if they've adopted RONR. That is to say, it's RONR that says they need bylaws in order to be an organization. While some of us here (including myself) used to say such things as, "If you have no bylaws, you have no organization", some of us (including myself) have softened that view to accept the fact that some congenial groups of people may get along just fine without bylaws. They may even have a president, a secretary, a membership list, regular meetings, etc.

Well, that's only if they've adopted RONR. That is to say, it's RONR that says they need bylaws in order to be an organization. While some of us here (including myself) used to say such things as, "If you have no bylaws, you have no organization", some of us (including myself) have softened that view to accept the fact that some congenial groups of people may get along just fine without bylaws. They may even have a president, a secretary, a membership list, regular meetings, etc.

Let's rehash that "muddying the waters" theory, here. I just wanted to add a citation George didn't already have, anyway. :P

Archived