The Official RONR Q & A Forums

DDo members have the right to assign use of money?

Guest Jazz

In a not for profit guild that I belong to, there was an item of income that was created after the budget committee had presented and adopted the budget for the year.

This "extra" income was to be derived from contributions by the attendees at a general meeting after the board of directors had approved this passing of a donation collection canister; contributions were strictly voluntary. The original motion, made at the board meeting, stated that this shall be donations to offset programming costs. The motion was made and voted on at the board meeting and was approved by a majority vote.

The donation canister was a success, raising a few extra dollars for the benefit of the guild. There was a motion made by a member, at the general meeting, that the proceeds collected in the canister are allocated to programs. This passed with an overwhelming majority vote by the members present at the general meeting.

Now the budget committee is saying that these monies shall be put into general funds until we have our next budget meeting and see if they can give us back those funds for programs. The budget committee when they originally met did not have any information that this extra money would become available. The budget was presented many months ago and was voted on to accept as presented at a general meeting by members in a majority vote by those members present.

Can this happen where the budget committee claims possession of these funds and does not give it to the program chairperson to provide more extensive programs when the general membership has approved by vote the application of these new funds?

Can this happen where the budget committee claims possession of these funds and does not give it to the program chairperson to provide more extensive programs when the general membership has approved by vote the application of these new funds?

I'm afraid no one here, nor RONR, has any idea what your budget committee, or your program chairperson, can or can't do. That's up to you to figure out.

In a not for profit guild that I belong to, there was an item of income that was created after the budget committee had presented and adopted the budget for the year.

This "extra" income was to be derived from contributions by the attendees at a general meeting after the board of directors had approved this passing of a donation collection canister; contributions were strictly voluntary. The original motion, made at the board meeting, stated that this shall be donations to offset programming costs. The motion was made and voted on at the board meeting and was approved by a majority vote.

The donation canister was a success, raising a few extra dollars for the benefit of the guild. There was a motion made by a member, at the general meeting, that the proceeds collected in the canister are allocated to programs. This passed with an overwhelming majority vote by the members present at the general meeting.

Now the budget committee is saying that these monies shall be put into general funds until we have our next budget meeting and see if they can give us back those funds for programs. The budget committee when they originally met did not have any information that this extra money would become available. The budget was presented many months ago and was voted on to accept as presented at a general meeting by members in a majority vote by those members present.

No. But I don't understand why the funds are not in the custody of the organization's treasurer to begin with. It is poor practice to have money sloshing around willy-nilly. It has the tendency to fly off, if you know what I mean.

Unless you bylaws say otherwise, the motion adopted by the assembly is controlling.

JJ,

Thanks for your prompt answer. This is what I was thinking in regard to a majority vote for assignment of funds to a specific project (programs). If a vote was taken at the general meeting of the organization, and passed by the majority to have use of the newly collected funds added to the already budgeted funds as stated for programs. Should the program allocated amount be increased now that more money has been collected and the general membership has voted to use these newer funds for programs or can a few people (on the board of directors) say they have to see what happens this year before they will assign more money for programs. Thanks again in helping me get the correct answers according to ROR to present at the board meeting.

Should the program allocated amount be increased now that more money has been collected and the general membership has voted to use these newer funds for programs or can a few people (on the board of directors) say they have to see what happens this year before they will assign more money for programs.

Basically, the general membership is in charge unless the Bylaws say otherwise. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 466, lines 7-14)

Archived