The Official RONR Q & A Forums

TABLED MOTION

Guest TERRY

When there is a motion on the floor and then a motion to tabled the first motion can there be discussing about tableing the motion or should there just be a vote on tabling the motion?

The motion to Lay on the Table is not debatable, however, it's very possible that the motion is being confused with another.

It is not debatable because its purpose is to temporarily set aside business to reach a more urgent matter. If the motion is intended to set a different time for considering the pending business, it should be made as a motion to postpone, which is debatable. If the intention of the motion is to kill the pending business, it should be made as a motion to postpone indefinitely, which is also debatable.

The motion to Lay on the Table is not debatable, however, it's very possible that the motion is being confused with another.

It is not debatable because its purpose is to temporarily set aside business to reach a more urgent matter. If the motion is intended to set a different time for considering the pending business, it should be made as a motion to postpone, which is debatable. If the intention of the motion is to kill the pending business, it should be made as a motion to postpone indefinitely, which is also debatable.

Tim can you give me a rule number or were I can find this in the book? I will need to be able to show this to my Chairman. He is understanding that all approved tabled motions are non-debatabled.

First, take a look at RONR(10th ed.), p. 202, l. 4-17, to determine which motion should be used. This will tell you if it is or is not debatable.

Tim can you give me a rule number or were I can find this in the book? I will need to be able to show this to my Chairman. He is understanding that all approved tabled motions are non-debatabled.

Also, note that whether a main motion is laid on the table (tabled), postponed, amended, or referred to a committee, whenever it comes back before the assembly, it is debatable. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 98.

Archived