The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording meetings

Guest Bill McSweeney

Guest Bill McSweeney

Our secretary resigned recently and a new secretary was appointed. The new secretary wants to record the meetings in order to be more specific with the meeting minutes. Some members objected sighting the ability to use the recording later. We could really use some guidance. Thanks

Our secretary resigned recently and a new secretary was appointed. The new secretary wants to record the meetings in order to be more specific with the meeting minutes. Some members objected sighting the ability to use the recording later. We could really use some guidance. Thanks

RONR notes that a recording may be beneficial for the Secretary in preparing the minutes. The assembly is free to prohibit the Secretary from doing so if it wishes, and to use alternate methods to achieve accuracy, such as requiring that motions be in writing. Since the primary concern appears to be the recording being used later, the assembly could allow the Secretary to use a recorder, but order that the tapes be securely kept and/or be destroyed after a specified period of time.

RONR notes that a recording may be beneficial for the Secretary in preparing the minutes. The assembly is free to prohibit the Secretary from doing so if it wishes, and to use alternate methods to achieve accuracy, such as requiring that motions be in writing. Since the primary concern appears to be the recording being used later, the assembly could allow the Secretary to use a recorder, but order that the tapes be securely kept and/or be destroyed after a specified period of time.

Josh, Can you quote a RONR page number on that. I would like to use that info at my meetings.

Josh, Can you quote a RONR page number on that. I would like to use that info at my meetings.

Hello Ladies and Germs:

If my memory serves me correctly (and it often time fails me), Mr. Honneman a couple of years back suggested (or was of the opininon) that the assembly should create a standing rule if it wished to permit any member to tape record, and a Special Rule of Order if it wished to allow the Secretary only to tape record.

See RONR, 10th ed., pg. 444, lines 5-7; pg. 625, lines 11-13; pg. 18. You'll note that, other than the note about the recording being useful, these are general rules related to the assembly's ability to control the hall. Basically, RONR has no rule on the matter, so the assembly can adopt whatever rules it wants about recording meetings.

If my memory serves me correctly (and it often time fails me), Mr. Honneman a couple of years back suggested (or was of the opininon) that the assembly should create a standing rule if it wished to permit any member to tape record, and a Special Rule of Order if it wished to allow the Secretary only to tape record.

Either rule would be a standing rule, and I do not believe Mr. Honemann has suggested otherwise. I do recall a thread where he asked some leading questions in order to stimulate discussion on the subject, so I can see how you might have misinterpreted his posts. I believe the discussion was specifically regarding whether a rule which required the Secretary to record the meetings would be a rule of order.

See RONR, 10th ed., pg. 444, lines 5-7; pg. 625, lines 11-13; pg. 18. You'll note that, other than the note about the recording being useful, these are general rules related to the assembly's ability to control the hall. Basically, RONR has no rule on the matter, so the assembly can adopt whatever rules it wants about recording meetings.

Either rule would be a standing rule, and I do not believe Mr. Honemann has suggested otherwise. I do recall a thread where he asked some leading questions in order to stimulate discussion on the subject, so I can see how you might have misinterpreted his posts. I believe the discussion was specifically regarding whether a rule which required the Secretary to record the meetings would be a rule of order.

Hi Josh:

With the change in the website, I wouldn't know where or how to look for the thread. Gary was involved in the discussion, he might remember.

Steve Britton, RP

Hi Josh:

With the change in the website, I wouldn't know where or how to look for the thread. Gary was involved in the discussion, he might remember.

Steve Britton, RP

Josh,

Our recording secretary, never picks up a pen or pencil in any of or 4 hour long meetings, yet

he keeps detailed minutes, does RONR state that recording devices are not to be used? If so, what page?

Our recording secretary, never picks up a pen or pencil in any of or 4 hour long meetings, yet he keeps detailed minutes,

does RONR state that recording devices are not to be used?

If so, what page?

No, RONR never says that recording devices are not to be used.

Just the opposite.

Greg, the page citation has already been given. Twice. Read it.

from page 444 of RONR (10th ed.):

The use by the secretary of a tape recorder can be of great benefit in preparing the minutes, but a transcription of it should never be used as the minutes themselves.

Archived