The Official RONR Q & A Forums

bylaw amendments

Greg

Our membership is given the opportunity to change bylaws just once every 2 years. I'm told RONR requires that bylaws amendments require a 2/3rds vote for approval, is this correct and what page is

that located on? However, our bylaws specifically state that bylaw amendments require a majority vote to pass. We all know bylaws overrule RONR, but our powers that be, say because our bylaws also state that RONR governs our membership meetings they go with the 2/3rds requirement. Which is correct?

Our membership is given the opportunity to change bylaws just once every 2 years. I'm told RONR requires that bylaws amendments require a 2/3rds vote for approval, is this correct and what page is

that located on? However, our bylaws specifically state that bylaw amendments require a majority vote to pass. We all know bylaws overrule RONR, but our powers that be, say because our bylaws also state that RONR governs our membership meetings they go with the 2/3rds requirement. Which is correct?

Be careful when you are "told" something. Experience here suggests strongly that the teller gives the tellee some bad info at times. Wouldn't hurt to ask for some corroborative proof if you have doubts.

Apparently "we all" don't knows what you think they knows. ;)

Our membership is given the opportunity to change bylaws just once every 2 years.

Who or what gives you this opportunity? By this I mean... Who or what is restricting you from amending the bylaws more frequently?

I'm told RONR requires that bylaws amendments require a 2/3rds vote for approval, is this correct and what page is

that located on?

Two thirds AND previous notice, OR a majority of the entire membership.

However, our bylaws specifically state that bylaw amendments require a majority vote to pass.

Majority it is, then.

We all know bylaws overrule RONR, but our powers that be, say because our bylaws also state that RONR governs our membership meetings they go with the 2/3rds requirement. Which is correct?

Powers that be? To whom are you referring? The membership be the powers that be.

Archived