The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ratifying Acts of Board Members

Jaycee

At our Annual General Meeting of the Homeowners for our Condominium corporation there is a motion made that "Ratifies and accepts the actions of the Board of Directors for the previous year". The Board has already dealt with all matters that it is responsible for in the previous year - all motions at the general meetings are made and either passed or defeated and subsequent action taken in accordance with the Condominium Property Act of our Province (Alberta). I have gotten several agendas for Annual General Meetings from other organizations and none of them include the requisite of such a motion. Would not such a motion be redundant as the business has already been conducted - We cannot determine when this motion was introduce on the agendas for past Annual General meetings and can not find any reference in rules of order. Thanks in advance for any clarification or suggestions. Jaycee

At our Annual General Meeting of the Homeowners for our Condominium corporation there is a motion made that "Ratifies and accepts the actions of the Board of Directors for the previous year".

... The Board has already dealt with all matters that it is responsible for in the previous year ...

I have gotten several agendas for Annual General Meetings from other organizations and none of them include the requisite of such a motion.

I am starting to see this unexpected action more and more, out there in the real world. - And always for homeowners associations (HOA).

It must be becoming a popular practice. :blink:

I am going to add this "myth" to my master list of parliamentary mis-understandings and parliamentary errors.

I am starting to see this unexpected action more and more, out there in the real world. - And always for homeowners associations (HOA).

It must be becoming a popular practice. :blink:

I am going to add this "myth" to my master list of parliamentary mis-understandings and parliamentary errors.

And I guess you can blame General Robert himself for spreading the "myth" ... see page 564 of Parliamentary Law.

And I guess you can blame General Robert himself for spreading the "myth" ... see page 564 of Parliamentary Law.

Say, that's a surprising bit of parliamentary information. :o

But, no surprise, the 7th edition of RONR, and subsequent editions, properly blocked out that action.

You don't ratify what does not need ratification. - A negative vote is meaningless without a specific instance which needs re-affirmation.

from RONR 10th ed., page 119:

The motion to ratify (also called approve or confirm) is an incidental main motion that is used to confirm or make valid an action already taken that cannot become legally valid until approved by the assembly.

Just as the 10th edition of RONR no longer recognizes the rescinding of a negative vote. (See "Parliamentary Law" page 515, Question 310.)

Parliamentary Procedure Marches On! :)

Archived