The Official RONR Q & A Forums

nominating committee

Guest Kay Parisot

If a nominating committee has more than 1 interested person for a posititon, can they make a recommended slateor officers or must they simply put forth all names with no recommendations.

Oh, clearly, the nominating committee should make a nomination for each office. Each nomination is the committee's recommendation. The committee need not, and generally should not, report the names of all persons who have shown an interest. Only report the persons the committee thinks should be elected.

If a nominating committee has more than 1 interested person for a posititon, can they make a recommended slateor officers or must they simply put forth all names with no recommendations.

If the nominating committee simply "put forth" all the names of those interested there'd be no need for a nominating committee. So put your collective heads together and select the best person for each open office. That's what you were appointed to the committee to do.

There is no rule, however, that a nominating committee must recommend only a single candidate for each office.

'Although it is not common for the nominating committee to nominate more than one candidate for any office, the committee can do so unless the bylaws prohibit it.' (RONR p. 419 ll. 19-22)

Thus, although it is the committee's job to exercise judgement, in a case where the committee sees several well qualified candidates, it may choose to pass the names of those several candidates on to the electorate, rather than having to narrow it down to one candidate inside the committee.

There is no rule, however, that a nominating committee must recommend only a single candidate for each office.

'Although it is not common for the nominating committee to nominate more than one candidate for any office, the committee can do so unless the bylaws prohibit it.' (RONR p. 419 ll. 19-22)

Thus, although it is the committee's job to exercise judgement, in a case where the committee sees several well qualified candidates, it may choose to pass the names of those several candidates on to the electorate, rather than having to narrow it down to one candidate inside the committee.

Ok this is one that applies to me too!! This is the first year that nominating committee in the POA was forced to put all nominees on the ballot. Past practice only let the ones selected by the nomination committee to appear on the ballot. However at the meet the nominee picnic the nomination director wore a shirt with her pick it to campainge. It has been a fight to get all names on the ballot and this is one we WON !!!!

This is the first year that nominating committee in the POA was forced to put all nominees on the ballot. Past practice only let the ones selected by the nomination committee to appear on the ballot.

The nominating committee should have nothing to do with the ballot. The nominating committee selects "the best" candidate for each office. Then additional candidates are nominated "from the floor". Either all the nominees are pre-printed on the ballot or none of them are (i.e. the ballot can be as simple as a blank piece of paper). And members are still free to vote for someone who wasn't nominated at all.

The nominating committee should have nothing to do with the ballot. The nominating committee selects "the best" candidate for each office. Then additional candidates are nominated "from the floor". Either all the nominees are pre-printed on the ballot or none of them are (i.e. the ballot can be as simple as a blank piece of paper). And members are still free to vote for someone who wasn't nominated at all.

IN the POA that is listed under the nominating committee duties to form the ballot and attend to the list of address of members in good standing that recieve a ballot. As I posted before the nominations have also been on paper never from the floor of any meeting. That is something else I plan to work on when I get elected. :blink:

IN the POA that is listed under the nominating committee duties to form the ballot and attend to the list of address of members in good standing that recieve a ballot. As I posted before the nominations have also been on paper never from the floor of any meeting. That is something else I plan to work on when I get elected. :blink:

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 421, l. 7-10. "After the nominating committee has presented its report and before voting for the different offices takes place, the chair must call for further nominations from the floor."

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 421, l. 7-10. "After the nominating committee has presented its report and before voting for the different offices takes place, the chair must call for further nominations from the floor."

They pick and chose what they want to follow in RRO , past practice is where they head when the by-laws do not addrress issues at hand. Again changes will be made when I get elected.....

Archived