The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Annual Meeting Date

Guest George Trocki

I wanted to reconfirm my understanding that if your by-laws state your Annual Meeting is on the third Thursday of September and the date needs to be changed that you cannot change the date prior to the third Thursday of September however the date could be changed till after the third Thursday of September by having a meeting on the third Thursday of September and state no quorum and thus the meeting could be rescheduled for after the noted date in the by-laws which state the third Thursday of September.

And, just to reconfirm my understanding the reason the rescheduled meeting could not take place prior to the third Thursday of September is because the actual by-law Annual Meeting date had not taken place yet.

I wanted to reconfirm my understanding that if your by-laws state your Annual Meeting is on the third Thursday of September and the date needs to be changed that you cannot change the date prior to the third Thursday of September however the date could be changed till after the third Thursday of September by having a meeting on the third Thursday of September and state no quorum and thus the meeting could be rescheduled for after the noted date in the by-laws which state the third Thursday of September.

And, just to reconfirm my understanding the reason the rescheduled meeting could not take place prior to the third Thursday of September is because the actual by-law Annual Meeting date had not taken place yet.

The date could be changed prior to the annual meeting if you could hold a special (or regular) meeting prior to that date and if you could amend the bylaws at that earlier meeting. If that's not possible (or practical) then, yes, you'll have to wait until the scheduled annual meeting before you can adjourn it to a later date. But you're not rescheduling it, you're just continuing it.

But note that if a quorum is present, then business can be conducted. And the members who do show up might not want to adjourn to a later date.

All that having been said, your understanding is essentially correct though some of the details are not.

The date could be changed prior to the annual meeting if you could hold a special (or regular) meeting prior to that date and if you could amend the bylaws at that earlier meeting. If that's not possible (or practical) then, yes, you'll have to wait until the scheduled annual meeting before you can adjourn it to a later date. But you're not rescheduling it, you're just continuing it.

But note that if a quorum is present, then business can be conducted. And the members who do show up might not want to adjourn to a later date.

All that having been said, your understanding is essentially correct though some of the details are not.

Archived