The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws and or Constitution

Guest Dave

Can bylaws be changed and/or amended during the year? And is the same so of the constitution or does that only happen at the AGM?

Should your bylaws not include provision for their amendment, they "can be amended at any business meeting by a two-thirds vote, provided previous notice has been given; or, without notice, they can be amended at any regular meeting by a vote of a majority of the entire membership. (RONR 10th Ed. p.562 ll. 13-17)

To the regulars here: as for the distinction between business and regular meetings, I'm assuming the "business meetings" would include special meetings, while the "regular meetings" would not. Sound right?

Would there be a meeting that wasn't a business meeting?

To the regulars here: as for the distinction between business and regular meetings, I'm assuming the "business meetings" would include special meetings, while the "regular meetings" would not. Sound right?

That was my immediate reaction before I even read the rest of Mr. Foulkes' post (and I checked The Book to make sure he hadn't inserted the word "business" on his own!). Perhaps the word is simply added for emphasis (like "voting member") but we often get questions on this forum that refer to "business meetings" in apparent contrast to meetings where nothing can be done (?) except listen to the general members gripe.

That was my immediate reaction before I even read the rest of Mr. Foulkes' post (and I checked The Book to make sure he hadn't inserted the word "business" on his own!). Perhaps the word is simply added for emphasis (like "voting member") but we often get questions on this forum that refer to "business meetings" in apparent contrast to meetings where nothing can be done (?) except listen to the general members gripe.

Whaa????? Why, I'm..... I'm just......... :o. Add words on my own in a quoted passage (you did notice the quotes, right?) from the holy book? I'm ... I'm.... :o

Yes. The reason for the distinction is that clearly if notice hasn't been given, the amendment is not included in the call of the special meeting and would not been in order.

There are plenty of meetings in the world that are not business meetings but they aren't meetings that we care about as parliamentary procedure doesn't apply to them. :)

For the sake of avoiding confusion with the everyday use of the word, however, the authors do occasionally use the term "business meeting" specifically, since many societies also have meetings of a social or educational nature.

So if a club is a national club and no meeting has than more than 10% of its 5,000 members and that is only twice a year.

I think the bylaws needs to be amended to have some kind of mail in (old school) or online balloting to satisfiy the members.

Anyone have a couple of bylaws articles for an example of absentee voting?

While discussing potential Bylaws amendments is beyond the scope of this forum, RONR does provide some guidance as to how to conduct a vote by mail. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 409-411. Some of the specifics, however, such as how much notice should be provided, will vary from organization to organization. There is nothing in the text regarding a process for online voting.

So if a club is a national club and no meeting has than more than 10% of its 5,000 members and that is only twice a year.

I think the bylaws needs to be amended to have some kind of mail in (old school) or online balloting to satisfiy the members.

Anyone have a couple of bylaws articles for an example of absentee voting?

Jim

You might get something out of this: www.aipparl.org/pdf/AIPemeet5.PDF.

(note that "emeet" is a sop to Internet requirements, and is probably not an implicit endorsement of the common misspelling of "e-mail.")

Yes. The reason for the distinction is that clearly if notice hasn't been given, the amendment is not included in the call of the special meeting and would not been in order.

There are plenty of meetings in the world that are not business meetings but they aren't meetings that we care about as parliamentary procedure doesn't apply to them. smile.gif

For the sake of avoiding confusion with the everyday use of the word, however, the authors do occasionally use the term "business meeting" specifically, since many societies also have meetings of a social or educational nature.

Though I acknowledge that RONR (10th ed.), p. 562, ll. 13-18, reads the way it does, I see no reason, in principle, why a society should be barred from adopting an amendment to the bylaws at a special meeting by a vote of the majority of the entire membership, without previous notice having been given, provided the item of business has been included in the call of the special meeting and a majority of the entire membership is present. The rule strikes me as being contrary to basic democratic principles.

Archived