The Official RONR Q & A Forums

New members voting in general election

Guest Liz

Does RRONR prescribe a minimum number of days a new member must be a member of an organization to be eligible to vote in that organization's general election? Our organization's bylaws do not cover this issue and we seem to have a lot of new memberships generated right before the election, presumably to influence the election results. Obviously we need to address this in the Bylaws, but in the mean time does RRONR give any guidelines?

TIA

Does RRONR prescribe a minimum number of days a new member must be a member of an organization to be eligible to vote in that organization's general election? Our organization's bylaws do not cover this issue and we seem to have a lot of new memberships generated right before the election, presumably to influence the election results. Obviously we need to address this in the Bylaws, but in the mean time does RRONR give any guidelines?

TIA

As far as RONR is concerned a member gets to exercise all rights of membership as soon as the person becomes a member.

Does RRONR prescribe a minimum number of days a new member must be a member of an organization to be eligible to vote in that organization's general election?

A member is a member, regardless of when he became a member.

Our organization's bylaws do not cover this issue and we seem to have a lot of new memberships generated right before the election, presumably to influence the election results.

I don't see a problem. You make it seem like that is a nefarious motive.

Obviously we need to address this in the Bylaws,

I don't see why.

but in the mean time does RRONR give any guidelines?

If you're a member, you can vote.

I don't see a problem. You make it seem like that is a nefarious motive.

Well, if people are joining just to influence the election (perhaps one of their friends is running), and then quit right away I can see how that would be a problem. That could be a serious concern in organizations which have minimal or nonexistent requirements or costs for membership. I find that the "x number of days" requirement is most common in organizations which do not require dues from members, and this helps to sort out who's serious about joining. If they truly wish to become involved in the organization, then yes, I see no problem with them having a voice in electing the leadership.

But the organization may feel otherwise, and if so, that's what the Bylaws are for.

Well, if people are joining just to influence the election (perhaps one of their friends is running), and then quit right away I can see how that would be a problem. That could be a serious concern in organizations which have minimal or nonexistent requirements or costs for membership. I find that the "x number of days" requirement is most common in organizations which do not require dues from members, and this helps to sort out who's serious about joining. If they truly wish to become involved in the organization, then yes, I see no problem with them having a voice in electing the leadership.

But the organization may feel otherwise, and if so, that's what the Bylaws are for.

That's a good point. Since Liz didn't mention a concern over these members quitting the organization, I didn't consider that was the case with her society.

That's a good point. Since Liz didn't mention a concern over these members quitting the organization, I didn't consider that was the case with her society.

And they don't have to quit.

Not only could these last-minute members distort the results of the election, their presumably disinterested membership will make obtaining a quorum all the more difficult "going forward" (a phrase that makes my teeth ache!).

And they don't have to quit.

Not only could these last-minute members distort the results of the election, their presumably disinterested membership will make obtaining a quorum all the more difficult "going forward" (a phrase that makes my teeth ache!).

Another good point. Wow, members are really a problem. :angry:

I'm going to start an organization with no members. Don't try to join!

TIA

As the others have already noted, a person has the right to vote as soon as he becomes a member. One way to mitigate the problem you raise is for the organization to amend the bylaws to include a fairly hefty initiation fee that has to be paid before the person becomes a member.

One way to mitigate the problem you raise is for the organization to amend the bylaws to include a fairly hefty initiation fee that has to be paid before the person becomes a member.

Though I'd prefer to institute a reasonable waiting period rather than limit membership to those who can afford it. The iron fist makes a poor pickpocket.

Archived