The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board meeting Agenda

bobbyflyer

If a new item is brought up at a board meeting and is not on the Agenda of New Business for this meeting, it can be discussed, but can a motion be made on that item, or does it have to be brought up as new busniss for the next meeting and then a motion made under unfinished business, in other words can any new motion be made at any meeting, I understand or think I do at Special called meetings, only items listed on the Special meeting notice can be discussed and voted on.

If a new item is brought up at a board meeting and is not on the Agenda of New Business for this meeting, it can be discussed, but can a motion be made on that item, or does it have to be brought up as new busniss for the next meeting and then a motion made under unfinished business, in other words can any new motion be made at any meeting, I understand or think I do at Special called meetings, only items listed on the Special meeting notice can be discussed and voted on.

Unless the motion requires previous notice, it may be made, debated, and voted on during New Business. It is not required that the motion be postponed to the next meeting, although the assembly may choose to do so if it wishes.

You are correct that business in special meetings is limited to what is included in the call of the meeting. This restriction does not apply to regular meetings. Under RONR, it is understood that regular meetings are held to consider any business that may properly come before the assembly.

Additionally, for future reference, the "Board Information" in this forum's title refers to the message board, not to Boards of Directors. Questions regarding parliamentary procedure should be posted in the General Discussion forum.

I'm holding my breath for a modest change in the name of the forum.

I'm already turning blue.

I doubt that would stop most people who just want to plug their question in the first available spot. One way to cut down on it would be to limit posting in all forums (except for General Discussion) to people who actually have an account. Of course the person who posted here has an account so it won't put the brakes on everyone but probably a vast majority of them.

Archived