The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda procedure

Guest mreman

When a committee of 3 is appointed to bring back a proposal at the next meeting and fails to report on the matter and the matter was left off the agenda. Is there any rule covering an event such as this. Procedurally should they have done something and is the violation of the rule given a name.Due to my absense I was unable to bring the matter to the attention of committee or the President presiding over the meeting.

When a committee of 3 is appointed to bring back a proposal at the next meeting and fails to report on the matter and the matter was left off the agenda. Is there any rule covering an event such as this. Procedurally should they have done something and is the violation of the rule given a name.Due to my absense I was unable to bring the matter to the attention of committee or the President presiding over the meeting.

If the committee was specifically instructed to make a report at the meeting, it should have done so, even if the report was that the committee had not reached any conclusions on the topic referred to it. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 164, ll. 18-25.

... a committee of 3 ... fails to report on the matter; the matter was left off the agenda.

Is there any rule covering an event such as this?

In general:

If a committee fails to report at a meeting, then I think the best process is just to have the committee report at the next meeting.

What solution would you be looking for otherwise, when a committee would not/could not report when expected?

In general:

If a committee fails to report at a meeting, then I think the best process is just to have the committee report at the next meeting.

What solution would you be looking for otherwise, when a committee would not/could not report when expected?

Wouldn't an option be to discharge the committee and let the assembly take it up instead? Also, since the committee didn't report at the time when instructed to do so it seems that the committee can be discharged by a majority vote (previous notice not required) per SDC #7 on RONR p. 301.

Wouldn't an option be to discharge the committee and let the assembly take it up instead? Also, since the committee didn't report at the time when instructed to do so it seems that the committee can be discharged by a majority vote (previous notice not required) per SDC #7 on RONR p. 301.

I agree, Chris H. smile.gif

If the matter up for discussion is one that could affect the membership dues, and the failure of a Board to address

the issue, ultimately will create a less than desireable affect on the organization. Where members will not share in the burden of this inaction equally, can the Board be admonished in anyway.

Archived