The Official RONR Q & A Forums

delegate voting

lipets

All the Delegates representing 5000 members are sent with their units vote to a annual meeting.

Now thru debate or amendments they change their mind and wish to change their vote, they can't contact each member to discuss.

I see RONR p. 409 An org should never adopt a bylaw permitting a question to be decided by a voting procedure in which the votes of persons who attend a meeting ….votes can be affected by debate, amendments ….need for repeated balloting. I was at a meeting and heard delegates state they wanted but couldn’t change their vote on the an issue thereafter voting for rather than against it.

How is usually handled best?

Any bylaw revision suggestions for improving this method?

Jim

It sounds more like proxy voting, but whatever....It's best handled by amending the bylaws to prohibit it......unless you saw something on the pages you read that we all missed? If their votes are used for establishing a quorum, you have even bigger problems.

I agree it is proxy voting, so many attend there is never a quorum issue.

Do you mean not have proxy delegate voting at at all at the meeting, correct?

Would it be a good idea to vote after the meeting having heard the debate and amendments if any.

Wherein, a set date say 30 to have all votes submitted.

Jim

Jim I don't think it's proper to express any opinions on that. Your society's problems might warrant hiring a parliamentarian to sit down with you guys and make informed recommendations, no?

That was mentioned before this revision committee was formed.

So the committee chair happens to be the Parliamentarian ;)

George any opinions are welcome.

Look at the last paragraph on page 587. I think this is what you are talking about.

That is a good read, for clarity here is the article.

A delegate to the annual meeting shall cast the total entitled votes of the constituent unit as determined Bylaws by a vote of the regular members present and voting at a regular or special meeting called for that purpose. A unit may also allow voting by electronic mail, regular mail or facsimile for regular members unable to attend said meetings. Votes shall be expressed as a percentage of the votes for or against and the results applied to the total entitled regular member vote count of the unit. Exact half votes will be cast as halves and fractional votes of more or less than half will be rounded to the nearest whole number. Except that a delegate may cast the total entitled vote of the constituent unit in whatever manner he determines proper on any matter which has not been previously determined by a vote of the constituent unit. If a unit uses a voting method other than a regular or special meeting to cast their members’ votes, it must take steps to ensure the accuracy and validity of the vote. Votes from those not in attendance at the meeting at which voting is done must be received by the Unit no later than two (2) days before the start of the meeting at which the vote is to be taken. These votes must also be kept confidential and not be announced until voting at the meeting has taken place.

Sorry in other threads I saw exerts being requested.

J

Yeah, it's such a temptation.

Like, "No one will read them!" But guarantee someone will, it's like mint-chocolate-chip ice cream. Another proof of the existence of G-d, nothing like it could possibly have evolved by itself.

It's because, despite what this, the premier parliamentary Website forum, is about, and what it isn't about, sometimes it's just too excruciatingly curiosity-provoking (what's that word? -- help, someone!?) to resist asking what those bedevilling (probably daffy) bylaws say. And usually we regret asking. $4.50 an hour is only worth so much agida.

Archived