The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What type of majority is required?

Guest Richard Parker

The organization I belong to is ruled by two different documents serving two different purposes. In elections to amend those documents, one states "Shall not be approved unless and until a majority of the qualified electors of the district approve the resolution by referendum election, the other "Any amendment to this instrument shall become effective only upon approval by a majority vote of the [qualified electors]" I know that the first requires more than half of all eligible voters approve, but what exactly does the second require? Thank you.

what exactly does the second require?

The default definition of a majority vote is the affirmative vote of more than half the members present and voting. So a vote of 1-0, with all other members either abstaining or absent, would constitute a majority vote.

Whether the language in your rules alters this default definition is for your organization to determine.

The organization I belong to is ruled by two different documents serving two different purposes. In elections to amend those documents, one states "Shall not be approved unless and until a majority of the qualified electors of the district approve the resolution by referendum election, the other "Any amendment to this instrument shall become effective only upon approval by a majority vote of the [qualified electors]" I know that the first requires more than half of all eligible voters approve, but what exactly does the second require? Thank you.

The board of directors and the trustees believe that both requirements are the same. I don't think so.

This is going to be advice in English grammar and syntax, more so than advice in parliamentary procedure.

The organization I belong to is ruled by two different documents serving two different purposes.

S1. "... shall not be approved unless and until a majority of the qualified electors of the district approve the [whatever]".

S2. "...shall become effective only upon approval by a majority vote of the [qualified electors]".

I know that the first requires more than half of all eligible voters approve,

but what exactly does the second require?

The board of directors and the trustees believe that both requirements are the same.

I don't think so.

Me neither!

Let me put the two rules in parallel:

(a.) a majority . . . . . of a certain group

... is not the same thing as ...

(b.) a majority vote of a certain group.

S1 says the body who does the approving is "a majority [no noun here] of the qualified electors of the district."

Thus, the "majority" is not votes, but electors.

A majority of X,

where X = a set of people.

S2 says the body who does the approving is "a majority VOTE of the [qualified electors]."

thus, the "majority" is not electors, but votes (from that pool).

A majority of X,

where X = votes cast.

Note well: The number of votes cast is often, even usually, LESS THAN the number of people who are eligible to cast votes.

In a room of 100 members empowered to vote, if there are 99 abstentions, then the vote will be either 1-0 or 0-1.

In this room, for this vote, on this motion or election:

P1. a majority of members = 51

P1. a majority of votes cast = 1.

Is there a difference between P1 and P2?

Yes.

P1 is based on people, regardless of who votes.

P2 is based on votes, regardless of how many participants there are.

Archived