The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum and passing of motions - Postpone Indefinately

BarryO

Question, our Board made several errors in voting due the fact we have several members who have never sat on a board and are not familiar with RONR, this includes me.

There was a motion, second and the President re-stated the motion and second and went straight into the vote and did not allow for discussion/debate.

There were members who began discussion and the parliminatarian asked for the vote to be postponed until discussion could be completed. However they proceeded to vote. To further complicate the matter, the cirumstances which required the motion changed and made the passing or failing of the motion not prudent. A motion to postpone indefinately was put in place and seconded. The President re-stated the motion and second and opened discussion for a limited time and stated when voting would begin. No discussion took place and the President call for the votes. At this time discussion/debate began, out of order. The Parlimentarian was absent and, after the voting time expired the President announces that the results of the origanal motion and the subsequent postpone indefinately. The postpone indefinately passed with several yea votes and the rest abstained.

Any advice as to how to handle this?

Question, our Board made several errors in voting due the fact we have several members who have never sat on a board and are not familiar with RONR, this includes me.

There was a motion, second and the President re-stated the motion and second and went straight into the vote and did not allow for discussion/debate.

There were members who began discussion and the parliminatarian asked for the vote to be postponed until discussion could be completed. However they proceeded to vote. To further complicate the matter, the cirumstances which required the motion changed and made the passing or failing of the motion not prudent. A motion to postpone indefinately was put in place and seconded. The President re-stated the motion and second and opened discussion for a limited time and stated when voting would begin. No discussion took place and the President call for the votes. At this time discussion/debate began, out of order. The Parlimentarian was absent and, after the voting time expired the President announces that the results of the origanal motion and the subsequent postpone indefinately. The postpone indefinately passed with several yea votes and the rest abstained.

When you say "handle this", what are you wanting to do?

There is a lot of confusing and seemingly contradictory information here, but that notwithstanding, you might look at getting a few copies of RONR In Brief (and at least one of RONR 10th Ed.) and pass them around before the next meeting.

Some motions are not debatable, but not knowing what this motion was, it's hard to know if the President was correct.

Did the circumstances change between the time the motion was made and the question was put (vote was called)?

I'd be surprised if the President had/has the unilateral authority to limit debate or set the time of voting.

So the President opened the the floor for debate, and nobody spoke up, and so he put the question (called for the vote) and then people started debating? Hmmm....

Well, it's questionable if the motion to Postpone Indefinitely was in order IF the voting on the motion had in fact already begun, as you say. As the Postpone Indefinitely motion did apparently pass (what was the result of the voting on the original motion?), whether out of order or not, since no one apparently raised a Point of Order..... well, it's hard to know for certain exactly where you stand with this.

Did I mention getting copies of..... oh, yes, I see I did.

PS. Regarding your Topic subject, what does quorum have to do with any of this, or shouldn't I ask?

Archived