The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion to invite a parliamentarian

Greg

A member at our membership meeting recently moved " that a parliamentarian be invited by the President and paid to help define Roberts Rules of Order at meetings to help us with interpreation issues".

Our bylaws require Roberts Rules of Order to be used at all membership meetings.

A month later the motion was ruled out of order by the President. The President has refused to

communicate as to why the motion was ruled OOO.

We plan to appeal the decision of the chair at the next meeting but other than that based on the

exact wording of the motion, can anyone see why this motion would be OOO and if so, could

you spell out a properly worded motion for me.

A member at our membership meeting recently moved " that a parliamentarian be invited by the President and paid to help define Roberts Rules of Order at meetings to help us with interpreation issues".

Our bylaws require Roberts Rules of Order to be used at all membership meetings.

A month later the motion was ruled out of order by the President. The President has refused to

We plan to appeal the decision of the chair at the next meeting but other than that based on the

exact wording of the motion, can anyone see why this motion would be OOO and if so, could

An Appeal from the decision of the chair is now too late, RONR (10th ed.), p. 249, ll. 23-25. At the next meeting, just make the main motion again. Use the words that exactly reflect what is intended to be proposed to do. If the chair rules the question out of order, he must state briefly the reason for his ruling, which reason is entered on the minutes, p. 245, ll. 14-17.

I have no clue why that motion would be out of order unless there is some limitation in the bylaws on how the Membership can spend money. It is too late to Appeal the ruling that it is out of order (the Appeal needed to be made as soon as the ruling was made). However, the motion can be renewed and if it is ruled out of order again (and he must state the reason per RONR p. 37) you can then Appeal it.

All, the motion I'm speaking of was made and seconded and the chair who is our VP did not object in

any way. The way our membership meeting is set up is this, any motion made at a membership meeting is

voted on at the next round of meetings in about 3 months. The problem I'm seeing is the President

is allowing the VP to chair meetings so he won't have to rule on motions when they are made, then a month later while we are inbetween meetings, he puts out the upcoming meeting agenda which only includes those motions he prefers, when questioned via a forum he mentions the other motions were out of order. This method seem odd to me, what about you? but hey, I just want a parlimentarian to the meeting any body out there do "pro bono" work?

Larry, I do believe you are correct. The President actually is out of order, question is, how do I

rule him out of order in the next meeting, I'd love to attempt this. HELP.

With a few exceptions (on RONR p. 244) the ruling or Point of Order needed to be raised at the time of the infraction. So just ignore his illegitimate ruling and proceed as if it wasn't made. Either the VP will allow it to go forward or he will rule it out of order giving his reason (or demand one if not given) and you can Appeal the ruling. While you are at it you all might want to consider removing the President who is being derelict in his duties by letting the VP preside.

but hey, I just want a parlimentarian to the meeting any body out there do "pro bono" work?

Both the National Association of Parliamentarians and American Institute of Parliamentarians provide referrals for professional parliamentarians. You can check out their websites. Whether you can get someone do to it for free is another question entirely. :)

Archived