The Official RONR Q & A Forums

authorizing the Executive Board to adopt its own rules

Greg

Does Robert's Rules specifically state that the Executive Board may adopt it's own rules and if so, does the membership have the authority to over rule a rule they previously adopted?

Just the opposite.

• Boards are powerless. (The Book says that boards are "instrumentalities" of the society.)

• Boards cannot create binding rules.

• Boards cannot even adopting binding motions.

Whatever powers a board has must come from outside of the board itself, of course.

That usually implies that one's bylaws is the source of most or all powers for one's board.

The general membership is supreme.

The bylaws is where the general membership cede power to its board.

So, the starting point is always: the gen. mem.

So, the wild card kicker is one's bylaws, constitution, or other document of governance, where the power is delegated to another body or another party.

Does Robert's Rules specifically state that the Executive Board may adopt it's own rules and if so, does the membership have the authority to over rule a rule they previously adopted?

What do you mean by adopt its own rules?

Unless the bylaws spell it out otherwise, the Executive Board answers to the membership, can take no action in conflict with action taken by the membership, takes instructions from the membership, and any action taken (if it's not too late) can be countermanded by the membership. (RONR 10th Ed. p 466, ll. 7-13)

But rules? What are you talking about here?

What do you mean by adopt its own rules?

Unless the bylaws spell it out otherwise, the Executive Board answers to the membership, can take no action in conflict with action taken by the membership, takes instructions from the membership, and any action taken (if it's not too late) can be countermanded by the membership. (RONR 10th Ed. p 466, ll. 7-13)

But rules? What are you talking about here?

KIM AND DAVID,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't tell you how inspirational what you just posted to me is.

RONR just seems to promote what I consider to me just and right and fair. Yet I belong to an organization that has twisted RONR so badly that it is anything but that. I need professional parliamentarians like the two of you just to build a starting point. Can I offer you guys some airline tickets for compensation?

KIM AND DAVID,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't tell you how inspirational what you just posted to me is.

RONR just seems to promote what I consider to me just and right and fair. Yet I belong to an organization that has twisted RONR so badly that it is anything but that. I need professional parliamentarians like the two of you just to build a starting point. Can I offer you guys some airline tickets for compensation?

Hey Kim and David. You should both get a ticket from Greg and come to DC and we can tip back a few while watching the Redskins beat Dallas on Sunday. :lol:

I need professional parliamentarians like the two of you just to build a starting point. Can I offer you guys some airline tickets for compensation?

Hey Kim and David. You should both get a ticket from Greg and come to DC and we can tip back a few while watching the Redskins beat Dallas on Sunday. :lol:

Well, until my NAP membership card and secret decoder ring arrive, I may have to pay my own way.

KIM AND DAVID,

Greg, if you are seriously looking for a professional parliamentarian, it would be more productive to contact the National Association of Parliamentarians and/or American Institute of Parliamentarians than to make requests on this message board. Those organizations can provide referrals of professional parliamentarians in your area. The membership of this forum is quite diverse, both geographically and professionally - that is to say, many of the regulars here, while quite knowledgeable, do not work as professional parliamentarians.

Archived