The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Main Motion

Guest Clark Griffith

Hi.

I am a voting member of the Executive of an Association. My Association is slightly different than most. Our President is seperate from the Governing Body and is not the Chair. The role of our President is as a backstop for the Membership if the Governing Body were rogue. He can veto a vote of the Governing Body which sends the question to the Membership.

This did in fact happen. My opinion is that the Veto took the motion from the Governing Body and gave it to the Assembly at large.

My questions are.

Is the Motion still on the floor until the Membership answers the question? If the Motion is still on the floor can the Governing Body continue to conduct other Business or must the Body have a resolution to the question first?

Thank you, Clark

My questions are.

Is the Motion still on the floor until the Membership answers the question? If the Motion is still on the floor can the Governing Body continue to conduct other Business or must the Body have a resolution to the question first?

Thank you, Clark

We can't interpret your bylaws but, in general, the board would be free to go about its business while it waits to hear from the general membership on one particular question (though I suppose it might depend on the nature of the question).

You are asking questions about very unique rules.

(E.g.: There is no such thing as a "veto" in RONR; presidents are not superior to any assembly; etc.)

I/We have not read your rules, and context matters.

You are not asking a question about Robert's Rules of Order.

So I doubt any page citation from RONR 10th edition will truly apply to your situation.

Archived